First upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanilla Magilla

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 10 gal. tank and am getting an 18 gal. tank. My daughter will get the 10 with the rosy barbs and red eye tetras, the question.... Can I use those fish to cycle the new tank and then get other fish for the 18 gal tank? The reason for only the 18 gal. is the footprint, 20 inches long. Wife will not let me go any bigger. thanks in advance.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Read this article on fishless cycling. It's oriented towards salt water, but it is also applicable to FW.

Since you have an existing tank, there is another thing you can do too. If you are using the same type and color gravel, use some gravel from the old tank, it has loads of good bacteria on it and your cycle should be quicker. if using different gravel, you can still take some of the old gravel, put it in some old pantyhose, and lay it in your new tank, it will seed your new tank also. take it out after a week-10 days, and you wil have seeded gravel, without mixing it up.

Now, if you are dead set on using your current fish to cycle with, I'd recommend using the barbs, but not the tetras, the tetras are not as hardy.

Wife will not let me go any bigger.

The stuff us husbands have to put up with!!!

I think it's actaully a spouse thing :!:

My husband tends to keep my feet on the ground while visiting the LFS and I want to...well...buy everything :lol:
Quote:
Wife will not let me go any bigger.

The stuff us husbands have to put up with!!!

:mrgreen: Louise

It becomes a problem when both of you are into it. Then you will come home with half the store....if you're lucky...

the only thing my hubby has to put up with is me doing the tank maintanance, when that's being done its my tanks, when chosing fish its our tanks,however that said he is very supportive of my hobby.what sort of filter do you have, mine has a sponge insert [fluval 3] and when i set up my second tank i replaced half the sponge with new and put it the old in the new filter. i also used some of the old gravel ,it helped the tank to cycle without any problem , i still kept an eye on the cycling with tests , but it cycled much more quickly ,hope this helps :) i used the fish from my old tank to cycle the new,moving them over slowly as the tank cycled .i must say that i didn,t encounter very high readings of ammonia or nitrite , this i put down to the filter being part old part new.i moved my beacon tetras across first and they have been there for five weeks now happily.so maybe your tetras would be ok jackie

I think it's actaully a spouse thing

Point taken, you are 100% correct, just depends which spouse is into it. Luckily, my wife loves my 90 gallon being in the living room, but for sure, it's me that does all the work on it! She gives me valuable input on aquascaping and trimming the plants too, as I don't have much of a decorating sense.

Like Jackie, my other half doesn't feed the "kids" nor clean their tank but when it comes to making a purchase for the tank either a new fish, a bubbe wall, plants etc then we must make sure we know what's the best.

He loves the tank, but a little reluctant to add to it or change it :roll: and don't mention maintenance 8O

Louise :lol:

Back
Top Bottom