first water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feinhorn

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long should you wait before doing the first water change on a newly setup tank. What if the ammonia and nitrites are high and the tank has only been set up for less then a week?

If you have fish in your tank and you have high ammonia levels you should do some form of water change now to protect the fish's health.

When doing a waterchange its important to have the water as close to the tank temp as possible and to also use some decloinator on the water before adding it to the tank.

My powerfilter has floss type replacable filter inserts, should I buy a sponge that does not get replaced to also put into the fiter box to keep the bacteria in the filter even when I change the inserts. I have noticed recently that if I look down my tank long ways (from the side) it is cloudy. Don't know if this is bad but I don't really know what to do about it. The LFS tanks alway see to be so clear!!!

I look down my tank long ways (from the side) it is cloudy.

What color is it?

If its greenish then its an algae bloom. If its whiteish then its a bactera bloom. Either are common for a new tank expecially with high ammonia. My guess is bactera bloom.

What do I do, wait it out?

Pretty much all you can do. Keep testing for ammonia and such, and do your water changes to keep the levels down, while allowing the cycling process to continue.

The water is getting more and more cloudy every hour, I did a big water change this morning but it is still cloudy. What am I doing wrong. I guess I should stop adding the Cycle stuff. I also removed the nitra-zorb that I was using in the filter thinking that that might be doing it. I do have some Algone (www.algone.com) in the filter still. It was clear just a day ago, now I can't see to the back of the tank. My LFS told me not to buy a UGF like I was thinking of doing. He said that it is just a waiting game. He also said to keep using the Cycle or Biozyme. I think that the chemicals are what is doing all the cloudiness. Please Help

Paitence is called for. continue testing, wait out the bacteria bloom, it will go away in time. new tanks often do this, no quick fix. Get all the chemical stuff outta your filter, just use carbon in your filter cartridges.

Should I still use the Cycle or Biozyme? And when should I change the water? And how often?

By the way thanks for the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom