First Year Fish Keeper Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nerdelish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone!

I started fish keeping this summer and I have been enjoying it a lot. I have a book on aquarium plants and another book on identifying fish disease. Are there other books that might be useful to me? I don't have a huge budget ( I assume that if law books can get to $700 per book, fish books can too). I am looking to expand my plant and fish care knowledge. I am also interested in aquascaping (definitely not anywhere to close to being able to achieve that right now) and wabi kusas. I like the plant part of keeping fish especially a lot so far.

So, does anyone have books they can recommend?

Not to be glib, but the internet. I appreciate the value of a good book and there are definitely constants, but there's tons of free, up-to-date information available with a search. If there's a particular you're unsure of, someone here has the information.

In short, I love to read, but I don't rely on books. I'm positive you'll get more responses with reliable titles and authors, and they'll be great resources!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi everyone!

I started fish keeping this summer and I have been enjoying it a lot. I have a book on aquarium plants and another book on identifying fish disease. Are there other books that might be useful to me? I don't have a huge budget ( I assume that if law books can get to $700 per book, fish books can too). I am looking to expand my plant and fish care knowledge. I am also interested in aquascaping (definitely not anywhere to close to being able to achieve that right now) and wabi kusas. I like the plant part of keeping fish especially a lot so far.

So, does anyone have books they can recommend?

For a better understanding of plants role in an enclosed ecosystem I recommend. Ecology of the planted aquarium by Diana Walstad.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The net and one book I do have besides the Walstad book already mentioned is an Encyclopedia of nano fish. If you have Bettas there are some decent books out there. I paid a lot for my fish disease book and it's not that helpful. Plant info changes as does all of it really so get the most up to date info you can. Takashi Amano has some great books full of beautiful pictures. I read magazines like Tropical Fish Hobbyist and Amazonas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most of my favorite aquarium books have gone out of print and become insanely expensive. In particular my favorite "Loaches: Natural History and Aquarium Care". You can find most of what you need on the internet.

I mostly read TFH magazine and Amazonas Magazine.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Thank you for the reading recommendations. I will definitely keep the walstad book in mind

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plant books are the easy part, you don't want to buy fish books all willy nilly or you'll spend a fortune on crap, specifics are the key there and even then it can be a crapshoot if you can't browse it before buying.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom