Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish and Paracetamol

I've hard this myth that if you put a Paracetamol tablet in your tank once a month it helps to promote fish health.

Now.. i'm NOT planning to try this for obvious reasons, but is this JUST a myth or is this genuine lol?

Just curious...

Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Safe to say, I've never heard of this myth, let alone what Paracetamol is. Perhaps where you heard this and providing some info on it would help.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #3

Ahh sorry.

I forget, I am in the UK. Erm let me see Paracetamol is a painkiller tablet used by humans.
Other names i could find for it were acetaminophen, tylenol.

It's similar to ibruprofen in its effects.

and this is a bit of an English Myth i think?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

No problem, that does help explain it. From a personal perspective, I cringe at the thought of adding any types of meds to the tank, that would include acetaminophens.

The only way to know if it is a myth is to challenge the source it comes from. What are the benefits/drawbacks, etc. Usually, if enough people repeat something that is not valid, it either remains a myth (something we don't need in aquaria) or somehow becomes implied fact.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never heard of using tylenol in fish tanks and I wouldn't trust it to even test. I would be curious to know if it works though.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 03-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #6

Yer. I personally would never stick any medication into a fish tank!!

But, i do know of somebody who stuck an ecstasy tablet in his friends tank. Apparantly the fish survived but were swimming round going crazy for a few hours.

It's very cruel though, shouldn't be done and i don't condone any medication not intentionally made for fish to be put in.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm from the UK also and I have to point out that it's not some 'national' phenomenon/myth! I've never heard of that before at all...either through personal friends/hobbyists or via any forum I've participated in.

My goodness, we may not have pythons widely on sale but we're not exactly living in the dark ages when it comes to the hobby

I think it would be extremely harmful to add a medication designed for humans to a a fish tank where the occupants are many many times smaller and different anatomically. I can't for the life of me think of what possible benefits it would provide either. Paracetamol is an analgesic (numbs pain) used for things like headaches. As far as I know, I've never had a fish with a headache before...!
The Puffer Forum: https://www.thepufferforum.com | The Cichlid Forum: https://www.cichlid-forum.com | Cichlid Room Companion Forum: https://www.cichlidae.com | Planet Catfish: https://www.planetcatfish.com | PlecoFanatics: https://www.plecofanatics.com | Gobioid Research Institite: https://www.gobiidae.com | Fishbase.org: https://www.fishbase.org
-------------------------------------------------------
36 Gal: Malawi Cichlids | 36 Gal: Brackish Puffer | 58 Gal: FW Community | 20 Gal: FW RTBS Shark | 10 Gal: FW Breeder
Spares: 20 Gal: Former River Conditions | 8 Gal: Former Fry Tank | 32G: Former Community Tank
Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #8

OK . well perhaps not where you live, but it's a myth where i live.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

you can use paracetamol in a tropical fish tank only 1 and you have to grind it down as fine as pos when you change the water, all it dose is help minimize infection in the water, iv been doing it for three years because i got white spot and a friend told me about this so i gave it a try and never had a problem since all my fish are fit and healthy and plus the tank stays cleaner for longer not much mind but
Old 10-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossyBoy View Post
OK . well perhaps not where you live, but it's a myth where i live.
you can use paracetamol in a tropical fish tank only 1 and you have to grind it down as fine as pos when you change the water, all it dose is help minimize infection in the water, iv been doing it for three years because i got white spot and a friend told me about this so i gave it a try and never had a problem since all my fish are fit and healthy and plus the tank stays cleaner for longer not much mind but
Old 10-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm from the uk and I've never heard this either. Where abouts are you?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

im in the uk
Old 10-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do not use acetaminophen in a fish tank. Acetaminophen induces hepatotoxicity in mammals due to its metabolites. In fish, its not quite as extensive due to the metabolites following a different pathway but it still can induce liver necrosis. It has not been extensively studied due to acetaminophen not occurring in natural environments, only in experimental settings.

http://tpx.sagepub.com/content/33/1/75.full
Old 10-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2233 View Post
This sounds absolutly bonkers to me! Im in the uk, never heard if it before now nore would i ever consider it without some heavy facts supporting it. The tank stays cleaner, i wouldn't of thought so adam and that might be a placebo effect. Your water should be clear anyway, if not, up your water change routine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

First of all, this is not something I would EVER try.

Secondly, this thread has been resurrected from 2007. Closed.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com