Fish Auctions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've just found out that there's going to be a fish auction in my area on Sunday. I'm hoping to go, but I've never been to an auction before and had a few questions...

(1) Are fish at auctions generally from breeders or just from people who are trying to get rid of a few extra fish?
(2) I know (obviously) prices will vary, but in general, are they lower/comparable/higher than most lfs's?
(3) Because these fish are coming from private homes/breeders (as opposed to lfs's) do they need to be quarantined as if they were any other fish?

Thanks in advance! I'm really looking forward to going...even if I don't buy anything, it should be an experience!

1) Both! Some are folks looking to sell the best of their stock to fellow enthusiasts, other times they are looking to make room.

2) Generally a little to a lot lower. Depends on how badly someone wants a fish *grin*

3) QT EVERY fish, no matter where they come from (except from one of your own tanks into another of your own tanks).

You'll have a great time; fish auctions are too cool!

Sara, I think I heard of that one! I just attended one in Calgary and everyone was a buzz over the Edmonton auction this coming weekend. You should go just to check it out.
The auction that took place in Calgary was held by the Calgary Aquarium Society. The items that were auctioned were from member's--plants, fish and equipment. There were a few items that had been donated from a local retailer (they made a big deal about this, since that money would go directly to the club).
Have fun!

3) QT EVERY fish, no matter where they come from (except from one of your own tanks into another of your own tanks).

Going off topic, but...

With that in mind, what's the best way to get my QT tank ready for Sunday? It was last used to house panda cories with a bacterial infection and treated with Super Sulfa.

I've got a new filter sponge for it if I need. Do the old sponges need to be thrown out? Does the gravel need to be rinsed? Can I manage to do an insta-cyle for that tank (by putting the sponges in an established tank for a few days)?

Thanks!

I know which one you are talking about, I would LOVE to go, but sadley I'm going to london next week :(. How often do they host these things? I would love to go to the next one. And be sure to tell me what kind of things they're selling there :).

^EDIT

The best way to get your qt ready is to have a spong media in one of your cycled tanks ready to be transferred to the new tank.

I stumbled upon an announcement on Edmonton Buy and Sell...I had no idea that these were going on at all. Regardless, I'll be sure to tell you all about it... :)

What I do each time I need to use my QT tank is fill it with established tank water. Then 1/4 water changes daily (or so, depending on test results), using established tank water. Oh, I just realized your tanks are very small. My method works because I have two large tanks.
Hmmm.
I would rinse out the tank well--including sponge and gravel. How large is your QT tank? Seed the sponge you are going to use in the QT tank either by putting it in a current filter (won't harm the established tank because you have bacteria everywhere--decor and gravel). If the filters are not compatible, just let the sponge sit in the 10 gal. In any event, it is too close to the auction to fully seed the sponge, but it is a start. Be prepared for daily water changes :roll:
HTH

Where is this aution? I'd love to go, but I'll be out of town this WE .. :(

However, I'd love to hear about your experience & dates of the next one.

I would rinse out the tank well--including sponge and gravel.

Do I need to rinse it out with anything either than water? Bleach or anything?

How large is your QT tank?

Its a 2 gal waterhome. I'm only looking to pick up one or two small fish and maybe a shrimp or two, so it should be ok...

Thanks for your help, Menagerie!

With the use of that Super Sulfa, I wouldn't expect anything to be alive. Has the tank been in storage? My gut feeling says water will be fine. However, I just battled a gross infection of some sort for a month--lost 5 out of 6 fish. My fiance did bleach out the tank to prep it for one of our brooding fish. If you bleach it, use a capful of bleach per 2 gals of water. Then rinse and rinse and rinse :wink:

The auction I went to had a ton of Killifish and brichardi. We already own brichardi and I wanted some killifish for my community tank, but restraint was used (since I have no idea about killis and don't need another tank--if they are not community fish!). I saw no shrimp, but snails were there.
Just know what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it!

He Menagerie did you see any Rainbow.. hehe.. I tried to make it but I was cruisin around with my 1 and 3 year old and didn't think they would last long at the auction.

did you see any Rainbow
Yes, I did! There were a few younger children there and the auction lasted a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time (5 hours). Definitely not a place for the very young crowd!

There will be a HUGE auction and fish show in September. The auction part will be held Sept 5. I will post all the details in the Canada forum when the time comes :wink:

It will be hosted by the Calgary Aquarium society. It's a three day event--guest speakers, fish show and auction. The guy I was talking to said it would be a bigger auction and local retailers were donating items. I have the flyer at home--It looks like it will be fun!

Why would you want shrimp for a tank? hey I use it for baby food.....

Shrimps can make great tankmates kansas! I have amano shrimp, cherry chrimp and ghost shrimp spread out thru almost all my tanks (except the 55g; the loaches would eat them).

Amano shrimp are the best algae eating shrimp out there; they have cleaned all the algae off my plants without messing the plants up; cherry shrimp also eat algae and are a really pretty red color. Ghost shrimp make great scavangers and help keep the tank free of leftover rotting food.

Plus, shrimp are pretty cool to watch.

Back
Top Bottom