Fish/Bottom dweller recommendation for 7g tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czcz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thank you for all the information on the site and archives. This is my first aquarium in twenty years.

I am not interested in getting a larger or different tank. My tank dimensions are 24"x6.5"x12" (7 gallons). This is a vintage tank (resealed with Aquarium-safe silicone) and I have not finished my first fishless cycle. I am willing to do a two gallon (~30%) water change weekly. After visiting my local fish stores, I found bottom-feeders/dwellers the most interesting creatures. I would like to stock my tank with the following:

2-3 White Clouds *or* Black Neon *or* Rummy Nose *or* other interesting tetra. I am comfortable picking the smallest available.
2 Ghost or Pepermint shrimp
2 Otos and/or Cories and/or ADFs
I Java Moss and 1 Java Fern bunch. 2 or 3 4-8" tall plastic plants. 2 2.5"dia x 3" PVC caves

Inner bottom surface area of the tank is 156 sq inches and I hope this is adequate for the cories, shrimp, and otos. I like the idea of diversity but understand many of these social creatures like large numbers of their own kind. Is it impossible to create a community in such a small tank? Are tetras happy in threes or do I need to add to their number at the expense of floor dwellers?

Advice and information is appreciated. Thanks.

That tank certainly has an interesting footprint. IMO you could probably house 5 neon tetras (they stay small), in place of the rummy nose or black neons. I'd scrap the ADF.

What about mystery snails or some other inverts? After 5 neon tetras, you'll be near max limit. Add a ghost shrimp in there and it will be an awesome setup. However, no "bottom-feeder" should replace water changes and vacuming as other animals will not eat poop, just any uneaten food.

You seem to have really planned this tank out. As such I feel you will be very detailed in your tank maintenance and should be able to manage a fully stocked tank.

I agree wtih Bryan and would suggest 5 Neon Tetras. In addition go with 2 ghost shrimp and 2 Otos. Be sure NOT to overfeed them as this will be critical to maintaining stability in such a small tank.

The Otos will keep algae at a minimum but you will have to supplement their diet in such a small tank. The live plants will also make a big difference.

Be sure to post a pic once your set-up is complete.

hth Good luck! :)

BrianNY - Ok. Measurements above are width x depth x height, if you meant physical footprint. Thanks.

rubysoho - I plan on weekly water changes and sifting the gravel regularly so the power filter gets the waste. Really ,I find aquatic bottom feeders interesting, not a replacement for aquarium care. Unfortunately, neither of my local fish stores stock mystery snails. Do you recommend other inverts?

Atodaj - Thank you very much. I will take a picture with my cell phone, so don't expect quality :D I hope to progress to more live plants if the Java fern and moss work out.

Please recommend a replacement for the neon tetras? I'd like to consider similarly sized fish appropriate for the ghost shrimp and otos.

Hmmm... here is a list of other tetras that would do well with the shrimp and otos.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=20&pCatId=890&TopCatId=890

If you don't mind having only one fish in the tank, maybe a dwarf gourami would be cool. They come in all sorts of colors (flame, honey, powder blue...) and are very personable. They'd ignore the otos and any shrimp you'd want. Do a google search on freshwater inverts, shrimp, or snails, and you should come up with some cool information. I bet your LFS would order in some stuff for you. However, make sure you don't add any larger snails or otos until the tank is good and stable, and has been running for a while. Both will need to eat algea, which can be supplemented with waffers, but otos are very sensative to water quality and all sorts of stuff. I say wait on the snails because my LFS complains about snails not being hardy, but IMO it is that the tanks get cleaned so often and fish are in and out all the time that it isn't stable enough/not enough to eat.

How bout-
4-white clouds
2- otos
some shrimp

With very good filtration you could keep maybe 6 white clouds + the others I said. Maybe work up to 8 shrimp. If you get this many fish add them in small groups over time so the bacteria can grow. This group doesn't follow the rule of 1 in. per gal but with good filtration and plants you can always break the rule. I'm very good at making successfully overstocked, healthy aquariums.

What about a betta? I have a female in a 3 gallon tank with a ghost shrimp and they get along fine. In a 7 gallon you could probably put 2-3 shrimp, a snail and a couple otos too, i doubt the betta will mind the company.

rubysoho - Thanks. LFS has Blue and Flame Dwarf Gourami. Very beautiful and low cost. I am happy with one fish. I will follow your advice and make otos the last addition to the tank. I no longer think I'll get schooling fish. I still have not asked about ordering snails though I am considering one.

lance - Thanks for the advice. I am more partial to White Clouds than Neons, but no longer think I'll keep schooling fish. I worry about six to eight shrimp in such a small space but will start with two. I still must finish my cycle but in my excitment (I've made five trips to the LFS in two weeks) I added many live plants. There was no packaging so I do not know their type. I do not believe any are Java mosses or ferns.

Maillis - Best LFS has a female Betta for $2.29. I did not plan on getting a Beta because I always found them boring in friends' bowls, but I had never watched a female for a long time before. This particular fish was rather active and fun to watch. I am debating it and a Flame Dwarf Gourami at the moment.

I will post a picture soon.

awesome, can't wait to see the pics. Either the dwarf gourami or the female betta sounds like a great choice. With the female betta, you could house up to three in your tank, especially with all the plants you mentioned, they'd love it, and they are so beautiful. I have three female bettas in a 5 gallon right now. It is very planted, and they are happy and healthy (at least I think so). I just have to make sure I keep up with water changes. However, hopefully they'll have a new 55 gallon home soon :D

oh, definitely update with pics!!! I'd love you see what you do with your tank.

Thanks ruby.

Borrowed camera :) Ground quartz is the substrate but some of it sticks on the walls of the tank after water changes. I am considering changing to aquatic soil before adding fish. I mixed in cultured gravel from LFS and it looks nice I think. I'll make PVC caves later this week.

7634tank.jpg

7634tank_flash.jpg

the broad green leaves on the right hand side look like Afzelli, (Anubias afzelli), tho I might be wrong...not a big plant person, as long as it grows, I like it...

From the dimensions, you have what was called a show tank. I had one like it 25 years ago. Probably has a metal frame? I think they were intended for use at fish shows.

Thank you for the information Melody and BASSNMAN. I have since been told that the plants on the left are bannana plants. Any more IDs are appreciated.

I ended up adding two PVC caves and three Amano shrimp (~ 1 1/4") on Monday. I liked them so much I added three Cherry shrimp (~1/2") Thursday. I am feeding them a little tropical fish food and have been monitoring ammonia. Unfortunately I hit ~4 on my test kit earlier today. I must be overfeeding I think. I will wait before adding fish. I think it will be a Flame Dwarf Gourami.

I did two ~30% water changes since Sunday and got my water tested today.

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate 40
Nitrite 1.0
Total Alkalinity 300
pH slightly above neutral
Very hard water

Are my planned additions of a Dwarf Gourami and eventually Otos still acceptable? Kid at LFS says it is fine as long as I add aquarium salt... from what I have read in the archives here, this doesn't make sense to me.

You don't need salt in that tank. I would be careful with the Gourami and the shrimp. The little shrimp may become snacks. Otos are fine, but definitely leave them for later. Continue to bring down those water parameters!

Back
Top Bottom