Fish carcass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I left for school today and everyone is happy and healthy from what I could see but when I came home I noticed a rasbora on the bottom of the tank dead so I got my net and took him out. I examined him to make sure he wasn't killed by another fish. When I got a closer look he was hollow and his eyes where missing almost like it was a shell. All that's with them are other rasbora a betta and a gourami. Any ideas on what caused this?

Keep calm and rock on

If you don't know when he died, there really is no way to tell why he's just a shell. Most fish, even usual herbivores, will eat a dead carcass in my experience

So I left for school today and everyone is happy and healthy from what I could see but when I came home I noticed a rasbora on the bottom of the tank dead so I got my net and took him out. I examined him to make sure he wasn't killed by another fish. When I got a closer look he was hollow and his eyes where missing almost like it was a shell. All that's with them are other rasbora a betta and a gourami. Any ideas on what caused this?

Keep calm and rock on

This is a typical response from other fish. The internal organs and eyes are the first things they eat as they are the most nutritious for them. That's not to say that another fish didn't kill it first only that under any circumstance, this would be a typical result. No way now to really determine exact cause of death. :(

The rasbora are all fairly old so I'm attributing to age. That and the other fish are very peaceful and its 7 fish in 25g so it's not a territorial issue

Keep calm and rock on

Back
Top Bottom