Fish cave ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone used a tooth brush holder like the ones at Walmart as a cave for their fish?

Hi Anna,
You have a lot of options in choosing a cave. Just make sure it's not painted (if you want colors, it should be dyed in such a way that it cannot leach out) and doesn't have adhesive stickers. Avoid metal, especially copper.
You could use a glass bottle, jar, or toothbrush holder, as long as it doesn't have sharp edges. Glassware is a great choice, as bottles and such have survived centuries underwater after shipwrecks.
You could also use an unglazed terra cotta pot turned on its side, which looks very lovely in my opinion.
You could try a ceramic one, too, as long as it was food safe. Mugs and other similar items, especially dishwasher safe ones, would be great.
If you want plastic, some types are safe and some aren't. Food grade plastics like #2, #4, and #5 work great, just look for the number inside the little recycling sign. Lego bricks and PVC pipe are safe, too, and you can do really cool things with those. Avoid any plastics that smell strongly or have paint or stickers that flake off, these are not safe.

Hi Anna, some great suggestions from dreaming blue, I just wanted to add, you should avoid stacking items to build caves as these can become unstable over time and could fall over and injure or even kill your fish. I use some ceramic items in my tanks, and black abs pipe and fittings can make great tunnels in your tank (especially the 3 or 4 inch diameter). Just don't use glue on them. I really enjoy making things for in my tanks. Just be creative, and think of the safety of your fish as you go along. Have fun with it.

Back
Top Bottom