Fish compatability chart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there an organized chart/list that tells what fish can go in what size tank? I've seen charts in which fish does well with another or fights, but I cant seem to find any that has a list of fish that can go in a 10 gal, 20 gal, ect ect.

anyone know of such list?

I've been going to live aquaria.com and it gets tiring to click on each fish just to see what size tank it can go into.

Despite all the good that such a list can do, I have yet to see one. The usual method of determining these factors is check compatibility, then cross reference tank sizes. The other method is to utilize an aquatic forum and ask: "What should I stock my xx gal tank with"?

I asked that yesterday, and got only one response, and that person wasnt too sure. so I figured I can figure it out on my own with a chart. Someone should create one!

I found a 'calculator' that tells how many of a certain species of fish one can add in a tank. it goes from 5 gal, 10, 15, and 20 only, but it may help:

http://www.solodvds.com/beginner/fish_calculator.asp

General rule for tanks, don't get any fish smaller then the largest mouth in the tank :)

Other then that it's an agression issue which is specific to every fish. Eg. Chichlid tanks, wix a chichlid with tetras and you've given the chichlid a buffet.. but stock it all with agressives or fish that are large enough to be interpreted as a threat (Pleco's are a great example of this) and things seem peaceful.. so pick an agression level, and choose fish that are only from that agression level.

I have seen a chart like you are asking about. I saw it in a lfs, Aquarium Adventure in Carle Place, NY. I think it may have been a marine chart but am not positive. Next time I go I will look closer and see if they will give me a photo copy, or maybe I can take a digital pic and post it here.

Brian

Ohh.. I've been to Aquarium Aventure in Carle Place. I liked it, its awesome. Too bad Carle Place is about an hour from me, lol. I should check Suffolk Fish and Reef, maybe they'll have a chart or something there. I was hoping for something online

Dragonfish,
If you have been to AA and are about an hour away somewhere in suffolk then you must be somewhere local around me. I am always curious where people from LI are from. I am in Shirley, where are you? Where is Suffolk Fish and Reef?
Brian

I am from Smithtown, about 45 mins from Shirley.

Suffolk Fish and Reef's address is:

2401 Ocean Avenue
Ronkonkoma, NY

they mostly specialize in marine, but they do have a great selection of tropical fish, and have a few selections that most petstores dont carry (IE: Killfish). I love it there, the people are really nice and very knowledgable, though one man is a perverted old man, I just ignore him.

if you go, let me know what you think. if you are really into marine, I'd say its worth a trip. Their items are generally cheaper than regular petstores I find, and a great selection of aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom