Fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gal tank with 1 male Platy and 1 female Molly. These are a few other fish I am interested in. And we are thinking all males.

Blue Platy
Kribensis
dwarf gourami (maybe, still undecided)
Upside Down Catfish

Still checking out other fish to see what we like. Any ideas I would love to hear them and then I can look them up at least.

Thanks

I would suggest not going all makes while it is the best way to prevent babies it will cause a lot of aggression mollies get pretty big I would suggest refining the platy and Molly and going with a few nerite snails some endler guppies and your dwarf gourami as a center piece.

No no, no rehoming gonna happen here. They are the ones I have and I wont give them up for something different. And I'm not crazy on snails. I want to see snails I will go outside and see them...lol

Guppies are cute though.

I only have one Molly. It works

Thanks for your advice though

You should have two females for every male when it comes to mollies and platys. Mollies and platys are easily kept together you may have problems trying to introduce a krib to your tank because they are a cichlid even though they are listed as peaceful they are only as peaceful as a cichlid can get. You would hav no problems putting a dwarf gourami in a tank with mollies an platys I have one with my mollies platys and guppies, he doesn't bother anyone dwarf gouramis can be shy and timid. I def. would never put an upside down catfish in my Molly and platy tank upside downs can get fairly big and quite aggressive I know someone who had one with a full size Oscar and it almost killed the Oscar so it would definetly kill Molly's and platys.

Suggestions for good tank mates for your fish I would say guppies, sword tails, small tetras, loaches such as kuhli loaches, killifish, those are just a few that would work. But I suggest getting a variety of mollies and platys to start because its always best to keep them in groups. Balloon mollies are cool!

You should have two females for every male when it comes to mollies and platys. Mollies and platys are easily kept together you may have problems trying to introduce a krib to your tank because they are a cichlid even though they are listed as peaceful they are only as peaceful as a cichlid can get. You would hav no problems putting a dwarf gourami in a tank with mollies an platys I have one with my mollies platys and guppies, he doesn't bother anyone dwarf gouramis can be shy and timid. I def. would never put an upside down catfish in my Molly and platy tank upside downs can get fairly big and quite aggressive I know someone who had one with a full size Oscar and it almost killed the Oscar so it would definetly kill Molly's and platys.

You don't have to have a female male mix specially if you don't want babies. That is weird on the upside down cat fish my friend has one and it is the sweetest fish they have their Black Molly actually picks on it all the time.

Suggestions for good tank mates for your fish I would say guppies, sword tails, small tetras, loaches such as kuhli loaches, killifish, those are just a few that would work. But I suggest getting a variety of mollies and platys to start because its always best to keep them in groups. Balloon mollies are cool!

Balloon Mollies are cute but I would never get one, their life span are shorter and they come from scoliosis mollies being bred hence the balloon part, so I was told by people on here anyways.

Too bad you don't live closer, I'd give you my DG. He's a sweetie. What about some tetra? They're always pretty :)

:) your sweet. I have honestly never looked at tetras much. Guess I will have to check them out.

Calypso77 said:
:) your sweet. I have honestly never looked at tetras much. Guess I will have to check them out.

That or a school of tiger barbs. They have such personality and are super pretty, but are fin nippers and aggressive in groups less than six. Learned that the hard way.

Ya I want to try and stay away from the aggressive ones if I can.

Back
Top Bottom