Fish compatible with Aquatic Turtles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nortzy21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I have a 75 gallon tank with 2 juvenile red eared sliders, 3 buenos aires tetras and a Chinese algae eater. I don't have much more stocking room as the turtles are already responsible for most of the bio load. I am looking to add some more fish but before adding any I want to get at least 5 more buenos aires tetras. The tetras are fast and swift so the turtles aren't interested in them at all. I'd appreciate any ideas for some fish that would be compatible with the turtles. Throw some ideas out there people!

Thanks,
Sam

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd say bump the school of Tetras up to a nice shoal and then be done with it. Those turtles (like you said) make up for a massive part of your bioload and you don't really have much room, but sounds like you already know this! You could maybe do a school of Giant Danios too(?) they're very active fish and I love their look.

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am turtle and fish keeper . So I have to tell you want you already know . Turtle might eat any fish .. But knock on wood right now I have a Jack D , a Oscar, and a Green Severum all living happy with my turtle. With you take I might just tray a Jack D ( bigger one).

I added 3 more buenos aires tetras and 4 silver tip tetras. I think that's as much as I'm going to add. The turtles won't be able to catch those fast tetras. Especially in my under-aqua scaped 75 gallon.

What about some giant danios?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

From my experience, plecos don't get bothered.

To tell the truth turtles and fish don't mix well

As for red ear they need to come out of the water meaning your tank will have a very low water level

I thought if you gave them plenty of room it may work so when I setup my 1000 gal I got a Fly River turtle that is fully aquatic they are very cool but very expensive
It worked fine for about 2 months then the turtle started taking chunks out of fish

Fast moving fish may work but they will get picked off one at a time at some point
The other problem you will have is turtles produce a lot of waste which may not affect the turtles but the fish will hate it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom