Fish creating sand mounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooboedoo12

Aquarium Advice Freak
So weird my Malawi cichlids create these. It's the second one. Not sure how when or why. Anyone that can explain it? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393790597.292300.jpg

Is that driftwood in the tank? Perhaps they are tring to bury it because they don't want it in their tank.

Yep. Mine don't make mounds really.. They make a bunch of craters under every rock.:sly:

It seems like that last post is exactly what they are doing. That's not the only mound. The plants are always dug up and there's spots under the rocks. I hope a rock doesn't fall on one. I had it happen a month ago to my other fish. Those bastards are like Wiley coyote

:lol: They are horrible about it, aren't they?! about a couple months ago, mine dislodged a rock.. TWICE. The same rock! Luckily, nobody was under it when it fell over, but it was pretty irritating because for some silly reason, I thought if I covered it back up that they'd get the idea that it's not a good idea to do that under that rock. But they didn't, naturally!:banghead: I think that most of these guys also like their plants floating- even those that aren't supposed to float. I have read that if you raised them up from juvies around plants, they may leave them rooted. But I am pretty sure that the majority of the time, they will just uproot them anyway. I don't even bother with plants that need to be rooted (live plants). You could try floating live plants, they actually DO like floating plants.
Here are a few pics of what kind of "damage" my little guys do. :)
12958673843_75d8b07b4e.jpg

12958678003_1882f1c65a.jpg

I "dust" these rocks every other day, and they keep pouring on the sand.
12958681613_51948edfc4.jpg

12958537245_5909f9a302.jpg

12958688463_6ba55985de.jpg

I'm starting to just give in and let them have it their way.

Hahahahahaha all sounds like what they do!!!!! I found the plants floating the other day and they are just babies. I have a whole bunch of floating plants in there for them already so I was hoping they would leave the others be. I think I have to tie them down with some string to a rock or something. It's starting to get old

My apisto's made mounds right before spawning.. They also dug out a cave for the eggs! Very cool:) freshwater fish such as bass will dig out beds for spawning, they meticulously maintain them by tail fanning debris off and out, during spawning season their tails are all best up and ragged! That's why I love cichlids, just like little basses..

Back
Top Bottom