Fish dieing!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need your help!!!! my clown fish looks like it is dieing and my other fish in there looks really bad as well!! what should i do!

abby5 said:
I need your help!!!! my clown fish looks like it is dieing and my other fish in there looks really bad as well!! what should i do!

Welcome to AA. You came to a good place for help. We're gonna need a lot more info though. Is your tank cycled? Do you know your ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte levels? How long has the tank been set up?

i got my tank 2 days ago. i dont know what you mean by the other questions.

abby5 said:
i got my tank 2 days ago. i dont know what you mean by the other questions.

We've got a lot to learn...but we can help. I'm gonna type out a bunch of info...but right now you need to go do a 75% water change (also called a pwc).

So go do that now, and when you come back I'll have more info for you. Make sure you use a dechlorinator when you change the water.

i dont know what declorinator is? is it something i would have in my house??

Listen to everything Eco says. Very knowledgable fish keeper. We will work with you to get you through it

Well you néed salt water first off... If that isn't obvious.. How are you making the salt solution?

All new tanks go through what is called a cycle. Fish produce ammonia in their waste which is toxic. They slowly poison themselves with their own poo. What happens is as a fish tank ages it grows healthy bacteria that converts the ammonia to a less toxic form so that the fish can survive...this is what cycling is. It takes time for the bacteria to show up, and theres not any in your tank yet It's best to cycle your tank before you add fish, but the people at the fish store never tell you that because they want you to spend your money buying fish.

What is happening to your fish right now is that the ammonia level is building up in the tank and they are being poisoned. By doing a pwc (water change) you will lower the amount of ammonia so it makes the water less toxic.

Since you just bought the fish, I would STRONGLY suggest you try to take them back to the store and do what's called a fishless cycle. That way, when you buy more fish the tank will be safe for them.

Let me know when you get the pwc done, and I'll give you some more info.

Also let us know what you are doing to your water, and the setup of your tank. Ex what size, filtration, heater...

A dechlorinator is used to take chlorine out of water. If you are on city water there is chlorine in there that will kill your fish. The store didn't sell you something to take out chlorine?

If it's an actual clown fish (looks like Nemo) and you've got him in tap water...we've got serious problems. If it's a clown loach (kinda long and skinny) we can work with it.

+1 you have to describe your situation better

Whatever the situation, don't feel bad or be embarrassed. We don't blame new members for not having the right knowledge...we just get mad at the fish stores that sell people fish without asking questions.

Exactly! We want to help you keep your fish alive.. So keep responding to us..

my brother told me to take them back to the store... i did that just before it closed.

abby5 said:
my brother told me to take them back to the store... i did that just before it closed.

That's fantastic of you! Thank you for caring and being a good enough person to do that.

I'm kind of one of the resident experts on fishless cycling. I'll make sure I walk you through it and get your tank set up so the fish are healthy and happy when they move back in.

Great! We can work with you to get your water ready for your first informed attempt! So what type of fish are you interested in? And tell us about the aquarium youve got! Were excited to talk to you!

hey thanks guys....she is my sister....she bought fish without telling me, or else i would have helped out! poor guys, i think they should be okay now. Thanks for all your help

Back
Top Bottom