Fish Digestion: How does it work? What helps it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krystian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Goal of this thread:
Should I turn on my warming aquarium light for my fish when I'm feeding them?

Hello,

I notice that many fish eat less in the colder water than warmer warmer (provided both temperatures of water fall into the appropriate temperature ranges which the fish needs to happily survive)

However, how does the water temperature affect fish digestion? True, I notice my fish move around less when the water is on the cooler end of the range, but does heat/light supplement digestion processes?

I know if you have a pet reptile, like an iguana, you need a heat lamp to help the animal process the food. To an extent, have fish evolved a similar dependency on sunlight to aid their digestion? (besides the fact that fish like to eat at the crack of dawn... is there a digestive performance modifier that sunlight or sun plays in fish metabolism).

The digestion process of fish seems a lot simpler than what we mammals share: Fish Feeding & Digestion However, I'm concerned whether sunlight has been known to influence a fish's appetite, or if helps the production/releases of enzymes to support food digestion.

Goal of Question:
Again, should I turn on my warming aquarium light for my fish when I'm feeding them (see how this all linked?)? What do you guys recommend?

With reptiles, I think it's because they're cold blooded, so the heat helps them warm up and increases their metabolism. I'd assume having the heater in the aquarium also serves that purpose.

I dont think light has much to do with it as heat.

When it gets cooler their ability to digest and process food gets harder. Their metabolism slows down, and they go into a "trance" type state if its too cool, they mainly lay arond doing nothing all day.

Turn that heater on, and they will be active again.

Yes, fish are cold blooded. The warmer it is the faster they eat, grow, live etc. The tank should be at whatever temperature your fish will be happiest at.

Back
Top Bottom