Fish disappearing one by one in 40g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 40 g tank over the past month I've had several fish disappear! 2 neon tetras, 1 scissortail rasbora and now a glofish is missing! Apparently they're getting eaten but I can't figure out who's doing it so I can remove the culprit and transfer to another tank! This is what I have in there: 1 very small gold Severum about 3 inches , 4 red velvet swordtails, 5 yo-yo loaches, and 4 scissortail rasboras and 4 glofish. Any idea who the culprit might be? I'm clueless my first guess was the Severum but he's so small and doesn't look to me like he could even fit one in his mouth! I don't want to get any new fish until I can remove the culprit!

Got to be the severum they won't neccesaraly eat a whole fish in one they attack kill then will eat bit by bit if they can't eat it whole.
But yea the sev would be my guess only other thing is to sit and watch the tank for hours on end

I'm stumped really! Because the Severum only acts aggressive towards the swordtails and that's only @ feeding time and he never messes with the other fish at all. He's was definitely my first guess but idk because I don't watch the tanks for hours lol! But I do look in there periodically and the tank is always clean as a whistle don't ever see any fish parts whatsoever. I think whomever is eating these fish is pretty much eating them whole! I will be moving him over to my 55 g tank when I get it set up and cycled, I guess then I'll find out for sure! :)

Got to be the severum they won't neccesaraly eat a whole fish in one they attack kill then will eat bit by bit if they can't eat it whole.
But yea the sev would be my guess only other thing is to sit and watch the tank for hours on end

Yeah, me too, seems like the only fish that could be doing it. Sorry for your losses

See though I'm not so sure because my swordtails are getting HUGE and so I'm wondering if It could possibly be them? Has anyone on here had any experience with them and smaller fish where they were
having fish like those listed disappear? Matter of fact one of the Swordtails that's really HUGE keeps hiding like she's guilty lol! Maybe she's just pregnant idk? There mouths are bigger than the Severums too!

Swordtails are really gentle and are very unlikely to attack another fish and if a female swordtail is hiding it is very likely to pregnant and due to drop soon

Back
Top Bottom