Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2020, 12:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fish dying

I have cycled my tank, and ph is always high. I have had my tank since June of this year, and I have always had fish in the tank. I didnít correctly cycle it. But I think it is a cycle since I have regular water readings. Like 8.2, I have one angelfish, and I just bought seven barbs. My water is always a bit cloudy, and I clean my tank once a week. I am new to fish keeping, and I have a 29-gallon tank.

Any time I buy fish, they typically last one to two weeks and then die. My ammonia levels are at zero, and my nitrates normal, and my nitrate is minimal.

On a second note, I love my Gourami, and I wondered how many I could have in my tank. I was told only one with the angel.

I so badly want to have fish, but I canít keep anything alive other than my betta and my angelfish, which I have had for six months. I have tried guppies, Coryís, danios, tetras, plecos, rainbow shark, mollies, and I even tried ADF. For the hardiest of fish, they never seem to last.

The other thing that worries me is how often I am changing the filter. Which is like every other day. I changed my filter to include filter media and a sponge but place some of my old filters within the filter to help keep the bacteria.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Old 10-31-2020, 01:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

We need more information...hardscape? Setup?

Old 10-31-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's not fully cycled yet. You should have 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites and below 40 ppm nitrates. The cloudiness will clear as it becomes more cycled. That's prob why the new ones are dying. 1 gourami per tank is usually about it, they don't like each other (males) and they're hard to sex when young. Betta are gourami and ev1 knows how they are with conspecific aggression
Old 10-31-2020, 03:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Btw, why changing the filter so often?
Old 10-31-2020, 03:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And when you say clean your tank, what does that mean exactly?
Old 10-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fish dying

So I just tested the water again. I have currently two dead fish meaning the ammonia will be slightly high.

Ph-8.2
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrate-0
nitrate- 20 ppm

Cleaning tank wise, I siphon the gravel and clean the glass.

The filter always indicated that it need to be changed. The red marker was up.

[ATTACH]318494
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	318494  
Old 10-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh OK, sometimes cloudiness can be from an uncycled tank. Maybe cut down on the amount you feed and change the filter cartridge less. That builds up good bacteria too.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I change my media monthly, or rinse out the sponges in a bucket of tank water monthly.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have had blue gouramis and pearl gouramis in shoals of 6-10 and found little aggression except that males do chase females a lot. Dwarf gouramis tend to be a bit aggressive. Never put bettas and gouramis together.

BTW, bettas and gouramis are not conspecifics; they are in the same family but not the same genus or species.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
I have had blue gouramis and pearl gouramis in shoals of 6-10 and found little aggression except that males do chase females a lot. Dwarf gouramis tend to be a bit aggressive. Never put bettas and gouramis together.

BTW, bettas and gouramis are not conspecifics; they are in the same family but not the same genus or species.
OK cool, good to know
Old 11-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post

Btw, just to clarify, I didn't say betta and gourami were conspecific. I said ev1 knows how betta are with conspecific aggression. And like you said, betta are gourami. I'm only relating my experience with gourami, and 2 in a tank will lead to fighting ime. A shoal of 6 or more it's probably not the same.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

"Because the males may be territorial, keep only one male Gourami in a tank. If space is large enough to allow each to claim its own territory, two may be tried."- The Spruce Pets
Old 11-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
I change my media monthly, or rinse out the sponges in a bucket of tank water monthly.
Don't change the media, that's where the bacteria is held! You're probably re-cycling the tank often.

When you're doing a water change put the filter sponge in the old water and squeeze it until it looks clean. That'll keep the bacteria, but not the gunk. That's all you should need to do.
*AND THEN WASH YOUR FILTHY HANDS* :P

Tags
dyi, dying, fish, fish dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com