Fish feeding question - plus a hundred more :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScrapIronIV

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Seriously, I get a zillion different answers to this question from researching on my own, and from asking at the pet shop.

The consistent response to how much is "How much they will eat in 3-5 minutes" and I am OK with that.

What gets me is frequency - I have been told 3 times/day, 2 times/day, 1 time/day, and once every other day...

How often should I feed my fish?

Also, how do I manage to fill all of the recommendations I get for a smaller tank? I have been told to get fish for each of the three levels, top middle and bottom, but to have companions in each breed, with specific ratios - and if I try to follow that I would have serious overcrowding!

Current setup:
20 gal tank
3 Mollies - Black Male, Silver Lyretail Female, Gold Female (a fourth black female as a fry, but growing up fast)
3 Platies - Male Sunburst, Female Twin Barb, Female Sunset
2 Serpae Tetras, gender unknown
1 Emerald Cory

I want a small angel; pulled it out at the recommendation of members of this forum and have it in my daughter's 14 gallon setup with 3 platies as company

I only feed once per day in my FW tanks. Every other day in my SW tank.

As for you fish, you're right, that'd be really overcrowding. There's no "requirements" when it comes to stocking. Pick the fish you like, make sure they're compatible, and try not to overstock. That's really what it comes down to.

I feed flakes once a day, occasionally skipping a day, and I spoil my fish on PWC day with frozen brine, algae tabs, and shrimp pellets.

That 20g is pretty full. I might add a couple cories if you have enough filtration. An angel won't have enough room in a 14g. Plan for the adult size of the fish, not its current size. Stocking with a small tank can be a challenge. There're so many cool fish that will outgrow a small tank.

I feed my FW fish flakes once a day.

I feed what they eat in 3 minutes plus a little extra since I have quite a few bottom dwelling fish and nerite snails.

Every other day I throw some frozen foods in.

Two to three times a week I throw in an algae wafer and some cut up zuchinni for a treat!

My fish are spoiled but their awesome so they deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom