Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
11bkd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Livingston, Scotland :)
Posts: 53
fish fight!

Hi,

My 90L community tank has become a rough neighbourhood the past couple of days, can anyone help?

I've had 2 bloodied minnow corpses the past 2 days and today a danio is fighting for his life after a severe beating. The problem is bad but it's a tank full of peaceful breeds and they're peaceful when someone's watching.

I have 3 dannios left, only 2 gold minnows left, 2 bronze cory cats, 2 lady Mickey mouse platies, 2 newish kuli loaches and some cherry shrimp in ever increasing numbers. The tank is planted and my water levels seem fine. The invalid danio is in a quarantine tank just now to give him some peace

Help!
__________________

__________________
Bringing a new level of neuroticism to the fish keeping hobby.
11bkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 141
I think the louchies might be the one who been Killing them
__________________

__________________
Fishforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,272
Male Platies can be hostile and would be my guess as to the offenders
__________________
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Canary bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tenerife, ES
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Male Platies can be hostile and would be my guess as to the offenders
My platies male and female are really laid back, probably the most peaceful fish in my community tank ...
__________________
I Love Anglefish
Canary bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Samzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 3,625
My guess would be the platies as well. Every fish has a different temperament. They may be okay in one tank but that doesn't mean they'll be fine in another.
__________________
Samzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Canary bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tenerife, ES
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter View Post
My guess would be the platies as well. Every fish has a different temperament. They may be okay in one tank but that doesn't mean they'll be fine in another.
I must be lucky then, every platy I've had has been chilled out unlike the mollies I've had some really bad behaved mollies male and female ..
__________________
I Love Anglefish
Canary bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
11bkd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Livingston, Scotland :)
Posts: 53
Weird one then

Last night I moved all the decor and some plants around to break up any territorial behaviours and my 4 year old gave a rousing speech about family togetherness so hopefully one of them will have been helpful.

I don't know what to do about stocking levels now. The injured dannio died so now I have only 3 dannios and 2 minnows left. Won't they freak out in such low schooling numbers? Wouldn't new fish be a bad idea?

The platies are both female as we wanted a chilled out tank. The only aggression we've seen is when a loach got too close to a cherry shrimp and got it's *** kicked. (I have ninja shrimp!) I'm doubting the loaches are the dangerous ones after that.

I'm seriously clueless about how to go from here!

Thanks for the input guys. X
__________________
Bringing a new level of neuroticism to the fish keeping hobby.
11bkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cactuspixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bkd View Post
The only aggression we've seen is when a loach got too close to a cherry shrimp and got it's *** kicked. (I have ninja shrimp!) I'm doubting the loaches are the dangerous ones after that.
Kuhlis aren't a danger to anyone. I wouldn't add more stock until you are able to find a solution to the aggression.
__________________
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bkd View Post
Weird one then

Last night I moved all the decor and some plants around to break up any territorial behaviours and my 4 year old gave a rousing speech about family togetherness so hopefully one of them will have been helpful.

I don't know what to do about stocking levels now. The injured dannio died so now I have only 3 dannios and 2 minnows left. Won't they freak out in such low schooling numbers? Wouldn't new fish be a bad idea?

The platies are both female as we wanted a chilled out tank. The only aggression we've seen is when a loach got too close to a cherry shrimp and got it's *** kicked. (I have ninja shrimp!) I'm doubting the loaches are the dangerous ones after that.

I'm seriously clueless about how to go from here!

Thanks for the input guys. X
If I were u I'd get rid of the platys I have 5 of em n they drive all my fish nuts I'm trying to rehome all of them I wish if I had of known be4 I got them I never would of got them plus they remind me of goldfish lol
__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 124
How were they beat up? I mean what do the wounds look like?
__________________
Babakapusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
11bkd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Livingston, Scotland :)
Posts: 53
Here's the video I took yesterday of the danio that died.

injured danio.mp4
__________________
Bringing a new level of neuroticism to the fish keeping hobby.
11bkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
11bkd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Livingston, Scotland :)
Posts: 53
Did it work this time?
Attached Files
__________________

__________________
Bringing a new level of neuroticism to the fish keeping hobby.
11bkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fight, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.