Fish flashing after water change.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilpi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've noticed a few times after a big water change in my African cichlids tank some of the fish flashing around and scratching in the sand.
Not worried since I've noticed this behavior a few times and only lasts an hour or two but I always wondered what causes this?

What's your parameters? Anything visible in them? White spots, ripped fins, cottony gunk on them?

No, there's no problems with the fish, all African cichlids, had them for about two years now and nothing else has been introduced into the tank since and there's no diseases.
I usually do a 50 to 75% water change every 7 to 10 days but it's right after the water change that I see some of them flashing for about an hour or so.
Wonder if anyone has experienced this?

I've been told it could be a slight pH change with the new water in the tank?
It always reads around 8.0-8.4.
I notice it more with the bigger water changes.

How big is this tank? You might want to be careful with the large water changes. Some types of fish act irregularly when they experience large influxes of fresh water combined with old water. But if you have done this for years, then I don't know how to help you. Sorry. Maybe they're just mating?

Fish can flash after a large change in nitrates or pH. If I were you I'd stick to smaller more frequent water changes to decrease the sudden change in nitrates or pH levels as those will cause stress to the fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Fish can flash after a large change in nitrates or pH. If I were you I'd stick to smaller more frequent water changes to decrease the sudden change in nitrates or pH levels as those will cause stress to the fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm thinking the same especially since I use a hose and makes it easy to do a large WC. As I mentioned, this behavior lasts for an hour or so. It's also interesting to see how after a water change they become very active, there is mating going on, gravel digging etc.

Back
Top Bottom