Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Fish flashing in new tank. water testing fine... ugh!

Hello,
I just setup a 150 gal tall african cichlid tank. I used seeded media from my other filters from my 55 gal tank to seed the sump (WD-300CS). Also added rocks and a bottle of searchem/aquavitro SEED. Caribsea cichlid substrate with some pool filter sand (rinsed). The tank tested zero for ammonia on the 8th day.

I slowly added about six fish over the next two weeks. I'm seeing my fish flashing off the substrate and rocks. I tested my water(with new api test kit) and it's showing:

Ammonia 0 PPM
Nitrites 0 PPM
NitrAtes 5 PPM
Ph 8

I also have Chemi-pure elite in my sump to polish the water.

I've done one 20% water change since I cycled the tank. Was waiting for the nitrates to get a little higher before doing another water change. Very frustrating seeing my fish flash and not knowing why.
Anyone know why these fish are flashing? Treating water with prime.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Update

I just figured out that water went into the tank on 1-7. That's a little more than three weeks ago. I generally do 50% water changes but on this new tank and just getting cycled, maybe I should just do a 20% and see if that helps with the flashing.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep the water clean and keep up those water changes. Sounds like it could be the start of ich or even velvet, i recommend looking into velvet a little more as, if i remember correctly, its a little bit more elusive than ich.
However these are not the only two options theyre the only ones that come straight to mind.
Moving to a new aquarium is an incredibly stressful ordeal for fish, when fish are stressed to this level theyre more susceptible to illnesses. When i first added my Synos to my Tanganyikan tank two of them started flashing all over the rock. Did medium, frequent water changes (20-30% every two or three days) and raised the temp slowly from 74į-80į. They stopped within a week from when i started it.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Thanks for responding Bichir Bro. I'll keep an eye out for ick and velvet. I did a 20% WC tonight. These are all new rocks and substrate so I'm sure it doesn't have the seasoned feel for these fish. Once I get to 50% water changes per week I'll be back on track.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ardynes , flashing is usually due to one of 2 reasons. Parasites or poor water quality, especially high ammonia , since your ammonia levels are 0ppm, I think we can rule that out. I personally am not familiar with cichlids or what parasites they are prone to. Perhaps other members can help with that. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Update

Thanks for the reply Ironworker. Been out of town for a while and catching up.

I also thought it might be a parasite so I treated with tetra Ick guard 1/2 dose. added charcoal and a week later pulled the charcoal and treated a half treatment with api general cure. I treated 1/2 doses because I have clown loaches in my 150 and some snails in my 55 gal. Treated both tanks at the same time. They are still flashing... but only in my 150 gal. ugh!

I purchased a hardness test and am now wondering if I need to add crushed coral. My Kh seems to be slightly low?

Tank:
Ammonia 0 PPM
Nitrites 0 PPM
NitrAtes 10 PPM
Ph 7.8
Gh = 13 drops (x17.9) = 232.7 ppm hardness
Kh = 5 drops = 89.5 ppm alkalinity

Tap (after resting 6 hours)
pH = 7.8
Gh = 9 drops = 161.1 ppm
Kh = 4 drops = 71.6 ppm

Tags
ate, fin, fish, flashing, new tank, sting, tan, tank, test, testing, water, water testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com