Fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SFAquariums1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I have always looked at the back of fish food containers and looked at the percentage of protein etc that the food contains. Lately I have been jumping around with different flake foods in a few of my community tanks.... I have a few I really like however I was curious as to what foods you all use? Do you have a favorite? One that you think is the best? Also let me know why you like it! Thanks

I do a homemade frozen mixture.

I take grinded fish flakes food, grinded pellet food, frozen blood worms cube, frozen brine shrimps plate, I mix that with water, freeze, then crush it, and feed a bit each days.

The mix:
148426DSC04711.jpg

One frozen and crushed:
309081DSC04712.jpg

My fishs really enjoy it !

For the last two weeks, we were feeding our male betta Tetra Mini Pellets, that he really seemed to like. They were "mini", but still a little bigger than his mouth. I done some research and found that Hikari Betta Bio-Gold, NLS and Omega One were better. We went with the Hikari brand. They are a PERFECT size for his mouth, but have to feed more since they are so small (5 in the AM, 5 in the PM). We also feed (treat) Frozen Bloodworm and Frozen Brine Shrimp, but he doesn't like the Brine Shrimp nearly as much as the Bloodworm. Both of these were highly recommended.
Doubt if he will eat flakes, but have some b/c we had 2 Rosy Red Minnow's before.

Fish Foods

Hi all,

I have always looked at the back of fish food containers and looked at the percentage of protein etc that the food contains. Lately I have been jumping around with different flake foods in a few of my community tanks.... I have a few I really like however I was curious as to what foods you all use? Do you have a favorite? One that you think is the best? Also let me know why you like it! Thanks

Hello SFA...

I always check the contents of the food. Flaked foods from the pet store generally have quite a few additives that simply add to the shelf life of the product and have no nutritional value. They are the "fast food" of the fish world. They're high phosphate and tend to add to water chemistry problems.

Frozen and freeze dried foods have fewer additives and are better for the fish. I like to add a little minced garlic to the menu every so often. My fish love it and it's very good for them. Feed these sparingly and every couple of days and change out half the tank water every one or two weeks and your fish will be fine.

B

Hello SFA...

I always check the contents of the food. Flaked foods from the pet store generally have quite a few additives that simply add to the shelf life of the product and have no nutritional value. They are the "fast food" of the fish world. They're high phosphate and tend to add to water chemistry problems.

Frozen and freeze dried foods have fewer additives and are better for the fish. I like to add a little minced garlic to the menu every so often. My fish love it and it's very good for them. Feed these sparingly and every couple of days and change out half the tank water every one or two weeks and your fish will be fine.

B

B do you just feed raw ground garlic?

I think my food has garlic in it.

The 2 best fish foods I've heard being used (there may be many others) are omega one and new life spectrum.

I also feed frozen cubed bloodworms as of late.

I feed my tropical fish API and my Oscar eats omega one. Both are pellets and sink. I fed my betta the same API as well without problems. They sink and don't cloud the water at all

Attachments

• 1394039763365.jpg
    1394039763365.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 83
I feed omega one flake, sera shrimp and krill pellets, omega one veggie wafers and hikari frozen daphnia,brine shrimp and bloodworms. I like keeping my fishies happy with a well balanced diet. Cory's live the pellets, Pleco's too, the wafers are their fav though. Needless to say the frozen is the most popular, I only do bloodworms once a week though, it can back the lil poopers up..

I feed New Life Spectrum pellets, Hikari freeze dried proteins (tubifex, brine shrimp, bloodworms), Hikari sinking catfish pellets, Hikari frozen bloodworms and Tetra Algae Pellets.
Not all on the same day of course.

I make my own fish food so I don't worry about all the additives and fillers. I know it's 100% natural and high in protein. Mine isn't made out of other fishfoods thrown together, so I'm not adding phosphates and other stuff to my tanks that cause algae outbreaks.

Omega one flakes, lfs house veggie flakes, hikari sinking wafers, hikari algae wafers, frozen blood worm, blanched zucchini, blanched romaine, cooked peas. Haven't tried cucumbers yet.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom