Fish Food Expirations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
IS there a expiration on Fish Flakes/Freeze Dried foods and if so how can I tell? I have some Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms I just found and not sure if there still good. I looked all over the container and cant seem to locate a exp date, jsut a stamped set of numbers on the bottom.

IS there a expiration on Fish Flakes/Freeze Dried foods and if so how can I tell? I have some Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms I just found and not sure if there still good. I looked all over the container and cant seem to locate a exp date, jsut a stamped set of numbers on the bottom.

I would think there would be an expiration on the bottle... but (now that you mentioned it) I don't think I've ever looked to see....

Try tasting them, if they taste really bad, then throw them away immediately!!!! :rolleyes:

Dry people food has a shelf life usually in double digit number of years as long as you don't get it wet. I wouldn't worry about it unless you left the lid off.

I seem to remember 6 months being tosses around for flake. Don't remember if that is from the packaging date or the opening date. I believe the discussion was around the fact that the flake (in particular) loses it's nutritional value.

If that's the case I must have some anemic fish in my FW then. I guess which is why the pack it in such large containers.

This is very timely for me too. I am feeding little Danio (glofish). In SW flake food is the worst food and that is what I had tucked away for who know how long. What is the best food for Danio's. I have frozen blood worms I have not tried yet and I have been thinking about purchasing some algae chips. One other question if I may highjack this thread:/ How often should I feed. In SW I feed every 2-3 days. Can I do that in FW.

Back
Top Bottom