Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2020, 04:57 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
I think the fillers are for purposes the same as any other. To make production as cheap as possible.

Lots also contain yeast. I donít understand why foods would contain yeast. Probably to flavour it. Did you know that some popular brands also contain sugar and milk? We all know how addictive sugar is. Then you hear keepers complaining how their fish didnít take to the new food. Well yeah theyíre addicted to sugar.
That's prob true. It's hard to know the ratios of the fillers, but to prove your point, for example, all my cichlids are not crazy about Omega one sinking cichlid pellets (or Aqueon [which oddly enough have almost the same ingredient list as Omega One]) but they love Hikari sinking cichlid pellets, which have listed more fillers. Maybe my guys just like junk food, lol

Old 09-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
That's prob true. It's hard to know the ratios of the fillers, but to prove your point, for example, all my cichlids are not crazy about Omega one sinking cichlid pellets (or Aqueon [which oddly enough have almost the same ingredient list as Omega One]) but they love Hikari sinking cichlid pellets, which have listed more fillers. Maybe my guys just like junk food, lol

Well yes, precisely. Itís all junk food really. If you believe anything else youíre just kidding yourself in my opinion.

I wish I had the time to raise my own live food. I can get bugs from my buckets outside but they are not available all year round and are difficult to collect.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In gonna hire some 2 year olds to collect bugs for me, lol
Old 10-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
In gonna hire some 2 year olds to collect bugs for me, lol
Good value!

Yes, being able to have time to raise a variety of foods for shrimp and fish would be nice.

I was talking with a guy who is raising Betta babies, and they are loving using Daphnia, says easy to culture.

Our new lfs is buying live Brine shrimp now so I definitely get them for the fish, as they have fun chasing them.

Also I just bought a couple new foods, more frozen foods, plus Fluval Bug Bites Color enhancing med. large community. This particular food is very interesting and has small pellets and some wafers and some extruded looking pieces like chunks of spaghetti noodles. All in one container. Has the fly larvae and salmon meal.

I had to order the Northfin food a few days ago as not available for me locally. Their ingredients look good but although they say no fillers, they also have wheat. Wheat seems like a filler to me?????!

The idea of making my own food pops up. Doubtful it would save money, and I am not sure I could figure out the small extruding thing for the tiny fish, or if they would like the taste, lol. I wonder about making fresh frozen food cubes. They are expensive.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I would think wheat is a filler. I see potato starch, wheat gluten and brown rice often. I guess some acts as a binder too

Tags
fish, fish food, food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com