Fish foods- What do you like, love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Simple thread topic.

This can be your own home made versions (please add recipes if you like) or brand names.

Please share what foods you like the most, LOVE, and why of course. Please keep the information polite and kind.

Please skip serious slamming brands and keep to the facts of observations and results in using the foods. I am not paid or receiving any product (nor would ever expect such, lol)

I have used Hikari foods as a basic food source but have probably 15-20 kinds of foods to feed the shrimp, snails and various fish.

Right now I like the New Life Spectrum Probiotix, fish seem to look better since I have been using the small pellet fish food. Small fish food size Bug Bites. Although I have also been using frozen 1-3 times per week. Have spawning going as well. So those are good things.

The small size Bug Bites seems to have some tiny or powdery sized bits and very small pellets. This would be a great food for adults and growing fry and I am using it the the gzillion Guppies and Endlers!

I have mostly cichlids, they act like they're starving all the time and pretty much eat anything. But what they always eat first, is Tetra cichlid crisps. Discus, angels, peacocks, haps, mbuna, oscars, parrot, jd, fm, bb, rd, mota, salvini, convicts, acara, saum, and sevrum. Multiple tanks and they always eat those first

On an interesting note, none really liked beef heart or black worms. I wound up feeding the beef to my dogs, lol

That is a creative solution.

On my interesting note, I found I am allergic to Blood worms then also developed an allergy to Black Worms / Tubifex when I was feeding Beef Heart AND Black worms to my Discus pair!!!

All my bottom feeders loved frozen beef heart and the live or frozen or freeze dried Black worms / Tubifex worms. And Blood worms for that matter!

New Life Spectrum Jumbo carnivore pellets, Fluval Bug Bites medium, for medium size cichlids, Senegal bichir and small for for Browntail Pencilfish and Neon Tetra. Stopped feeding Massivore carnivore pellets because of the smell lol. I also like pellet food from Kens Fish Krill, Earthworm, and Krill.

fish pellets

New Life Spectrum Jumbo carnivore pellets, Fluval Bug Bites medium, for medium size cichlids, Senegal bichir and small for for Browntail Pencilfish and Neon Tetra. Stopped feeding Massivore carnivore pellets because of the smell lol. I also like pellet food from Kens Fish Krill, Earthworm, and Krill.

fish pellets
Everyone always has good luck with this new life pellets. I'll have to try them. Another last on the plate to get eaten food for me is anything from omega one. Good quality ingredients but none of my fish really like any I've bought. They're the carrots that get eaten last and choked down

On my interesting note, I found I am allergic to Blood worms then also developed an allergy to Black Worms / Tubifex when I was feeding Beef Heart AND Black worms to my Discus pair!!!

All my bottom feeders loved frozen beef heart and the live or frozen or freeze dried Black worms / Tubifex worms. And Blood worms for that matter!
Wonder what is in the worm that sets off your allergies.... that is interesting. Everyone should be allergic to tubifex worms after I watched them on you tube

You are not supposed to be eating the worms! Seriously, I've never heard of that and Im curious what kind of reaction do you get? Is it in your hands/fingers if you touch them?

I’ve cultured grindal worms for years and they are always the most popular food for my fish.

For my shrimp, I’ve been getting foods from Meadowview Aquatics. All of the foods are a hit.

Yes know a few that only feed New Life Spectrum only but I personally like variety.

Vitalis and fish science flakes. Fish science is made from black fruit flies fed on organic waste. I think Vitalis is popular in zoos and contains little cereals and fillers compared to most foods.

Then live foods from my buckets outside.

I'm allergic to bloodworms as well. Apparently it's a fairly common allergen, but I don't get rashes like some people do if I accidentally touch it. My fingers just get a little numb. I still feed bloodworms occasionally.

I recently tried beef heart, but none of my fish really like it including my angelfish who was supposed to love it.

Mysis shrimp, only my angelfish likes this. Electric Blue Acara's ignore it and so does my paradise fish.

I've been feeding Northfin Cichlid pellets which seems comparable in quality to NLS.

Northfin Super Betta pellets because they're 85% Antarctic Krill.

They also really seem to enjoy Fluval Bug bites and it seems like a good way to vary their diet. They also claim that their supply of bugs for the food is a sustainable resource if you're into that.

Wonder what is in the worm that sets off your allergies.... that is interesting. Everyone should be allergic to tubifex worms after I watched them on you tube

Used the Freeze dried Blood worms and frozen for Bettas and other fish.

Around that time there was a 40G breeder tank with fish I bought used and had been seriously neglected ignored for a year had 4-5 inches of mulm. It was a dirted tank I was told. I had no experience with a dirted tank and figured I didn't want to ruin the substrate so I just vac'd it out every few days to get out the disgusting muck hanging at the substrate for about a month and noticed my allergy symptoms just kept compounding, but attributed it to seasonal allergies. Stuffy head, itchy eyes, sneezing, coughing, weezy.

Things got more serious. My eyes nearly swelled shut, my breathing was a struggle but still didn't know what happened. Thought maybe some consumed food might have caused it.

One day while feeding freeze dried Blood worms, my face and eyes started swelling, etc. I hadn't eaten anything or drank anything that day, didn't get any bug bites, etc. so I was puzzled at what was going on.

Another day ( maybe the same time I forget) I knocked a book off the top of the bookshelf next to some fish stuff, which was about Bettas which fell on the floor.

After finishing what I was doing I sat on the floor deciding to move a few books and picked up the Betta book and was reading the page (you know, it's about fish, hahahaha) which was opened when it fell onto the floor, about how Blood Worms, were surprisingly a common allergen!!!:eek:

Very fortunate finding for me. Then the connection really began to get the dots connected!

My Allergist Dr. didn't know about that. And Blood Worms aren't on an allergy test panel! :blink:

The lady I bought that mulm tank from said she always fed Blood worms, so I was touching blood worm sludge all the time.

It seems it came from the dust, breathing it, especially bad in Freeze Dried worms. Scratching your eyes and touching your nose and mouth would do it to. The touching the frozen ones too with touching the cubes.

So more hand washing and not breathing dust could maybe have postponed the situation.

A number of years later...
I still used frozen, live and freeze dried Tubifex and black worms (if they aren't the exact same thing, heard there are different kinds of black worms).

It developed over the course a couple months before I really realized it while cleaning out the live Black worm culture to new water when I realized having similar issues as mentioned above getting worse and worse as time went on.

I always need to look for the ingredients before getting the food.

Last edited:
Autumnsky, great post! How about that, never too old to learn new stuff. Thanks for sharing.

How strange on the allergy! It's frightening that it hit that level of severity; interference with breathing is nothing to play with. Very glad you are okay and aware of the risk now--I would never have imagined such a thing.

I had been feeding my betta Hikari betta bites and, on a whim (actually based on their descriptions of the food and a recommendation from someone on another site), bought some of the custom-made betta pellets sold on the Kensfish.com website. I put the Hikari bites and the Kensfish pellets in at the same time, and it was no contest. The fish (betta and all the other non-bettas who nevertheless enjoy sharing betta food) totally ignored the Hikari bites and went after Ken's pellets, even spitting out the Hikari bites when they got them by mistake. I was glad they like it, because it's quite a big jar. The only thing I liked better about the Hikari pellets was that they floated...but for now I guess taste wins out.

Thanks, I do try and mention it, not trying to make a big deal about me, but other people who might not have heard either of the odd allergy issue can store the odd tidbit away and maybe help.

Interesting about the Betta bites from Ken's. Also another brand can't think of atm, for Bettas which are really well received by fish.

I am so glad members are talking about the foods and what they like and which foods might be worth trying.

There are better options coming out all the time and it was not the most healthy options for some kinds of fish like Bettas 10-20 years ago! I often just get the same thing over and over. Like using Hikari for the basics. They do have some fillers which seem possibly like not entirely necessary.

The earlier times of fish keeping days, it was mentioned that the fillers were needed for bulk to be used by the available equipment for extruding, and then there were newer types of capsulated pellets and anything newer - not sure other than maybe regrinding food and double extruding like Probiotix (Not sure what all the fish food companies do. lol)

It gives me inspiration and confidence to spend the money to try even more new foods!

Thanks, I do try and mention it, not trying to make a big deal about me, but other people who might not have heard either of the odd allergy issue can store the odd tidbit away and maybe help.

Interesting about the Betta bites from Ken's. Also another brand can't think of atm, for Bettas which are really well received by fish.

I am so glad members are talking about the foods and what they like and which foods might be worth trying.

There are better options coming out all the time and it was not the most healthy options for some kinds of fish like Bettas 10-20 years ago! I often just get the same thing over and over. Like using Hikari for the basics. They do have some fillers which seem possibly like not entirely necessary.

The earlier times of fish keeping days, it was mentioned that the fillers were needed for bulk to be used by the available equipment for extruding, and then there were newer types of capsulated pellets and anything newer - not sure other than maybe regrinding food and double extruding like Probiotix (Not sure what all the fish food companies do. lol)

It gives me inspiration and confidence to spend the money to try even more new foods!

I think the fillers are for purposes the same as any other. To make production as cheap as possible.

Lots also contain yeast. I don’t understand why foods would contain yeast. Probably to flavour it. Did you know that some popular brands also contain sugar and milk? We all know how addictive sugar is. Then you hear keepers complaining how their fish didn’t take to the new food. Well yeah they’re addicted to sugar.

Back
Top Bottom