Fish for 20 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbb100

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently set up a new 20 gal tank! I have about 4 neon tetras and 2 corydora so far. The tank is already cycled and ready for some new fish! I’d love to get a semi-aggressive fish, but I’m unsure if they’ll get along with my neons. What are some tank mate combos you’d suggest? I’d rather stay away from mollies and guppies due to already having 2 tanks set up for them already.

You should bump both schools to 6 first. I've successfully kept female bettas in community tanks. A dwarf gourami would work.
You might be able to get away with a school of skirt tetras. Black or white they are the same species and will still school together.

The “glo” tetras will school with them too if you want some color variety without sacrificing schooling needs.

I’ve also kept male bettas in communities and it usually works well as long as there are no fin nippers. (IE betta or gourami OR skirt tetras not both/all). Some male bettas are, reportedly, anti tankmates of any variety but I’ve personally never experienced that.

Back
Top Bottom