Fish for 40 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a few fish in the tank and they are all predators. I want to keep my tank a predatory tank so then they won't eat the other fish. I have two clown knife fish a black ghost knife fish a silver dragon fish and a crawdad. Any tips on what kind of fish I should get would be great.
P
P

A 40 gallon is WAAAAAY too small for bgk. I am not overly familiar with the rest if your fish and their full grown sizes but you need to find your bgk a bigger tank or a new home!

Yeah ik that but it's only like 8 inches and doesn't even come out unless its pitch black in the room ima try and get a 55-70 gallon tank for my birthday and keep the 40 for other uses but I need help with the set up of the tank

My advice is you need a 200G tank for your fish and even then will likely have territorial disputes.

You're already WAY overstocked and small fish are basically just expensive food.

A 70G isn't going to cut it either, you should look at rehoming your fish or I'd say they'll all be dead in a month or two sorry.

Yes agreed, the fish you have are waaaay too much for the tank you have and the size you plan on getting isn't much better. You know the bgk grows to be over a foot and a half long just by itself?

Omg I wasn't familiar with the name silver dragon fish but now I figured it out you have an arrowana In a 40 gallon? You can't be serious those things get 3 feet plus!!!!!!!!!!! You need a HUGE tank!!!!!!!

Omg I wasn't familiar with the name silver dragon fish but now I figured it out you have an arrowana In a 40 gallon? You can't be serious those things get 3 feet plus!!!!!!!!!!! You need a HUGE tank!!!!!!!

Wow seriously? I thought it was just a Bala Shark (Which was bad enough) but an Arrowana? That may be the worst stocking of a 40G of all time sorry.

Cynic said:
Wow seriously? I thought it was just a Bala Shark (Which was bad enough) but an Arrowana? That may be the worst stocking of a 40G of all time sorry.
I would have to recommend a pond for all those fish. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiggles24 said:

Clown Knifes get bigger.

No it's an actual dragon fish but its silver and all my fish are friends and none have territorial disputes they're all pretty small compared to some iv seen iv seen a clown knife at least two foot long and I wanted to see what kinda fish are predators that will swim during the day

Your fish are small because they are probably still pretty young, and or because they don't have enough room to grow! You know keeping fish is too small of a tank stunts their growth? However their internal organs keep growing, eventually running out of room and killing the fish. I am not trying to be mean but what you are doing to your pets is cruel, just having one of those fish in a forty gallon would be bad!

Rehome the fish, or buy a MASSIVE aquarium, those are your options.

Unless you do one of them, your fish will die terrible, painful deaths.

Last edited:
POLARBEAR0871 said:
No it's an actual dragon fish but its silver and all my fish are friends and none have territorial disputes they're all pretty small compared to some iv seen iv seen a clown knife at least two foot long and I wanted to see what kinda fish are predators that will swim during the day

There are plenty of predators that swim ALL day that you can go see at an aquarium....I'm sry but just because you want to see something doesn't mean you should disregard all sensible advice, which you try to rationalize by convincing yourself your fish are friend!?!?! The arawana alone would be to big for that tank. Sry to be harsh but ****

Polarbear, Your fish are all going to die terrible, painful deaths. I mean really, what ever gave you the idea that 4 fish, that all normally grow to AT LEAST (normally more than), 18 inches, that half the length of your tank, the arowana, or dragonfiah, will be 3 feet long, the length of your tank.

So ask your self, can I just watch these beautiful fish doe painful deaths cause they look nice to me?

Lt. said:
Polarbear, Your fish are all going to die terrible, painful deaths. I mean really, what ever gave you the idea that 4 fish, that all normally grow to AT LEAST (normally more than), 18 inches, that half the length of your tank, the arowana, or dragonfiah, will be 3 feet long, the length of your tank.

So ask your self, can I just watch these beautiful fish doe painful deaths cause they look nice to me?

". I mean really, what ever gave you the idea that 4 fish,..."

let's focus on berating the source of this misinformation. I am totally against hurting fish but it is sometimes logical to believe fish should be kept like this when you first show up to this pursuit. It takes failure or wonder to evolve.

I think he gets it that he made a mistake.

But, simply put sell/rehome your fish or buy a huge tank. There are many great fish out there that don't demand huge tanks. If you keep them you're basically sentencing them to death.
You can keep 2 or 3 Fancy goldies in a tank that size the possibilities are numerous you just want to make sure to do thorough research on your fish before stocking. Many LFS' advice aren't dependable. They just care about the money.

Most lfs's are that way. This forum is a great place to research. Then you could Google too, that's what I do.

Ok first people I don't have an arrowana although i would love to have one. And also my dad had a 40G tank with a two foot albino catfish with other fish and said he had all the fish for over 5 yrs soo yeah and all I want is a predator tank and I don't want pirrannas or pacus nothing of that I want exotic predators

POLARBEAR0871 said:
Ok first people I don't have an arrowana although i would love to have one. And also my dad had a 40G tank with a two foot albino catfish with other fish and said he had all the fish for over 5 yrs soo yeah and all I want is a predator tank and I don't want pirrannas or pacus nothing of that I want exotic predators

No one is saying that you shouldn't have your predator tank. We are saying that trying to put it in a 40g is not a good choose of tank. You should have a much larger tank. If you don't
Have room or funds for larger tank then the RESPONSIBLE thing for you to do is choose fish that do fit in to your limits.... bottom line.

I'm sorry but just because your father did something doesn't make it all right. There have been a lot of changes in the hobby of the years. Putting a two foot catfish in a tank it can hardly turn around in is one of them. All we are trying do is help. You asked for the advise. We are giving it to you.

Back
Top Bottom