Fish for a 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
What fish should I get for a 10 gallon? Right now I'm going for larger fish. What is the largest fish I can have, without it having any other tankmates?

If I can't have a larger fish, what smaller fish should I go with? I'm not good at raising fish. Couldn't even get guppies to breed........ Oh well, I could always try them again and I have learned much more now. So what would you suggest? I don't have any dislikes so just name some and if you could, send a link with lots of info on them. Don't want to kill the fish.

As far as a big fish for a 10 gallon, you could go with one dwarf gourami, and maybe 2 or 3 cory cats to take care of the bottom of the tank, and an otto or two for algae control....

If, as you say, you are not good at raising fish, it is going to be hard to keep a 10-gal in good shape. Small tanks are much harder than larger tanks, and a 20-gal would be easier and more forgiving of errors. That being said, I will second lmw80's suggestion. I have a dwarf gourami (one of the most colorful FW fish that is readily available) with cory cats and snails in a 15-gal, and have kept one in a 10 like that as well. If you understand the nitrogen cycle and get test kits, and do regular water changes, you should have a good start. Let us know if you need info on any of these topics, and good luck! (Read the FW articles section for excellent info)

I can keep all of them alive, I make weekly water changes, I feed them at least 2 times a day with frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, flakes, or freezedried foods. I usually skip a day of feeding once every week to make sure they aren't being overfed. The temperature is also constant at around 75 degrees fahrenheit. Everything is looking good, the fish doesn't seem stressed, they don't have any strange behavior and they look much better than they did than when I got them. The plants are growing beautiful, but I probably need more to make it look way better. This tank is another fish tank. Btw can anybody send a picture of driftwood? I want to know what it looks like since I might add it to my tank to make things looks nicer. Is the things I do good or do I need to do other things to keep my fish happier.

The main thing you can do to keep your fish happy is to maintain water quality, and test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If your tank is fully cycled you will have zero levels of the first two, and low levels of the third. Keeping them happy after that will mean keeping the nitrate down below 40ppm with water changes.

Beyond that, fish like territories and places to hide (in general) so provide cover. Driftwood is a nice addition, but it requires soaking and preparing before it goes in the tank, unless you want it to color the water for the "blackwater" effect, which tends to soften the water a bit. You can get fake driftwood that looks great, IMO if you don't want to fool with real. In my gallery there are pictures of my 55, and the older pictures have some fake driftwood, while the most recent ones there is no fake anything at all. You can't really see the driftwood too well, though, because of the plants.

if you arent good at rasing fish i recommend danios (zebra, leopard, etc.)... they are hardy and very active.. they are not picky about water conditions and hard to kill (not that i've tried lol).. but they are a really good beginner fish and inexpensive (99 cent for zebra or less). i have 5 zebra danios, 1 leopard danio, and one african dwarf frog in my 10 gal.

good luck with your tank whatever you choose!!

Back
Top Bottom