Fish for a 1g? Need recommendations.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burks

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After cleaning out my 1g snail breeding tank (got tired of them), I'm once again left with an empty tank. I've done the Ghost Shrimp thing, never worked out well. I have RCS but they are in my 10g and I'm STILL trying to get those to breed.

Now I'm looking for something I can place into a 1g. My list of fish I do NOT want mentioned are:

Betta
Guppies
Neons
No snails either please

Anything else out there that could work? I'm only looking for one, maybe two maximum fish in the tank. It will be planted with Riccia and some Rotala Indica, maybe some moss. There will be no filter as it creates just waaaay too much trouble. I'll do water changes one to two times a week.

My idea was to get two of the Schooling Bumblebee Goby (Brachygobius aggregatus) provided I could find some in my area. If not, I'm out of ideas. Try to keep the cost of the fish minimal, no $6 per fish suggestions (poor college student).

Probably a long shot but hey, I'm out for a challenge.

Thank you all. Any help is appreciated.

Esra said:
The bumble bees are the only thing i can think of besides what you've ruled out.

Finding them is the problem. There are Bumble Bee Goby's at the LFS but they seem large than the ones I listed.

I didn't want the others because I've tried those before. The Neons did well as did the Betta. The Guppies did "ok" until a majority died (they were feeders). Almost thought about doing an Apple Snail but I have no way to keep them in the tank as it is rimless and easy to get out of. My cats might think it's a pretty treat. :lol:

Edit: Forgot to mention I have no problem keeping a brackish tank. It seems the BBG's like a SG between 1.012 and 1.016. Shouldn't be that difficult to maintain. I barely get any evap from this tank.

....nothing for that small a tank! ...unless you would be willing to do a pico saltwater..then you could get like a pound of live rock (that would cost maybe $5 ish, some salt again about $5ish and some hermit crabs...about $1.75-ish

Try here.
I think you're going to have a hard time finding some non-guppy/betta/neon species. You'll probably have to get some special ordered or look on Aquabid. It all depends on how important it is to you.

The best thing I could recommend for that tank (accessorized fish torture chamber?) would be a large bag of M&M's. :p Seriously though, it's too small for any fish to be kept properly.
It would be a nice setup for growing some type of uncommon moss, like flame moss. A few snails to keep algae under control and provide poop for the plant to grow on, and you might just about break even on the cost of running it when you sell some extra moss in a few months. :wink:

i agree, you can't keep a fish in a tank that small - it's simply not fair on the fish to have such a small "world", let alone the amount of maintenance you'd need to do to keep it healthy.

and i speak from experience, too. i have 2 1gal "cubes" that i tried keeping a betta in, tried keeping snails in, all failed. the only that worked (and ended up being a lovely tank) was a small java fern plant.

Disheartening I know, but I'm with the others who don't think it's a great idea keeping anything other than plants in there :(
Sorry :(

Good luck maintaining water quality in such a small tank. Shrimp are more sensitive than fish, and such a small volume will go downhill fast. What about cycling the tank?

No worries on water quality. Lots of water changes and cleaning. People have kept shrimp in smaller containers with success. Just takes a lot of work. Heck, my cats drink enough water each day I need to top it off. Had 12 Ghost Shrimp in it for three or four months before I had an "accident" with the tank. They did just fine and dandy.

I have the tank running with a small filter and a old sponge from one of my tanks. Tossed a few snails in there for some type of bioload. Pleanty of plants to suck up any harmful things.

If problems happen there are a few other tanks the shrimp can go to.

Back
Top Bottom