Fish for a stillwater set up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my eye on a 3-4g tall glass vase for a little while and I'd like to put a fish in it. I don't have the dimensions, but it's at least 2ft tall, with a 5in square base.
My hexagonal stillwater is going to be converted into a dwarf puffer tank, so I'd like an eyecatching place to house a betta/ricefish.

I know the vase is big enough gallon wise, but because it's a tall tank and bettas/ricefish are labyrinth fish, would they use the bottom 2/3rds of the tank?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So... the fish would have 5 inches of side-to-side movement? Less, really, once you subtract the length of the fish.

Am I understanding this correctly? Or am I missing something?

Not enough place to move around...they won't swim up and down at that hight..I can't think of anything else than maybe snails if you put live plants.. Even there probably not a great idea

I agree, this would make a poor tank for any type of fish. You could make an excellent shrimp tank out of it though.

Fish should not be kept in round glass containers I believe. It will disorientate them due to the curve of the glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surface area is a major factor in a Stillwater tank. That's why traditional tanks are rectangular. More surface, more oxygen. Yes Bettas are air breathers , but they deserve swimming room. Mine were in 5g and 10g filtered and planted tanks. They live much longer in better conditions. My oldest was 6 years when he passed.

I don't think that anyone on this board will recommend a fish for a vase.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom