Fish for Algae Control in Community Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankfair

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read that my pygmy panda corys will not eat algae. Correct? That is the only scavenger in my tanks except for a red tailed shark.

I do not have an algae problem in my tanks but would still like to know if there is a scavenger fish for a community tank that would also eat algae and not eat my neon tetras or other small fish.

I have a 26 gal. bowfront and 2 ten gallon tanks.

Thanks

Siamese Algae Eaterss are awesome if you can find them. They will eat BBA, and about any algae in your tank. They don't get too big... I had a few mixed in with my neons with no troubles. Great fish if you can find them. Just make sure you are getting true SAEs. Some fish stores sell fish labeled as SAEs that are not SAEs. There a few species that look similar. Just do a google search on them and you will find lots of info.

Your 26 gal tank is big enough to support a couple. I wouldn't suggest them for your 10 gal tank.

Here they are in my old tank.
19738-albums313-picture2404.jpg

+1 on the Otos.
A lot of people say they are hard to keep when introduced to your tank, but I think that's more to do with the stock that you get at the your LFS than anything else. I've never had problems with mine. Super little algae eaters, especially if you have diatoms!
Just be sure to supplement their diet with algae wafers and/or blanched zucchini if there isn't much algae to feed on.
I don't know enough about SAE's to comment except to say it's not the first time I've heard someone say to make sure you are getting the real thing. Lots of horror stories of people getting the wrong thing only to discover it when they started sucking on their fish instead of their algae!

I agree with the above suggestions, BUT.... before you add in more fish to solve a problem, try to find out what is causing it. Are you overfeeding? Lights on too long? Bulb spectrum shifted? Etc...

Otos are best added to a well established tank. SAEs are active and great at eating SOME algaes. They do get large (5"+) eventually though and tend to get pickier as they age. Ancistrus plecos are great algae eaters and overall scavengers as well. Nerites and amanos are often much better as far as algae consumption v. bioload.

As I said in first post-I don't have nor anticipate an algae problem. I am just doing what you said and trying to stay ahead of the game.

Thanks to all for the input!

I apologize. I completely miss read that. :(

Otos, SAEs, ancistrus plecos, nerite snails, Amano shrimp, neocaridina shrimp, platies, goodeids.... there are a lot of animals that graze algae to some degree and with some specific preferences.

+1 for amano shrimp. Can be hard to find, but they are great at cleaning up plant leaves.

Red cherry shrimp are also good for algae control. Not too mention are very attractive.

I added 25 RCS to our 10g and within a week it was cleaned of algae. At least out here they are easier to come by than Amanos

And +1 on the nerites.
My LFS got in a shipment and had them labeled as tiger snails (seems the distributor had them as "chinese snails") so they didn't know what they were. I though they looked like nerites, came home and googled them. They were tracked nerites. I sent my husband back the next day for a dozen. Put 8 in our 115 and 4 in our 40 and they had the glass cleaned in days. (the glass was the only issue, I couldn't keep it clean for anything) Now we have some for our BW tank too, for breeding purposes. Minimal algae in that tank, it's limited to the decor, which is perfect. Gives it that "old" look.

Another thing, believe it or not, but some of the live bearers like mollies and guppies do a good job of keeping algae controlled. We have both in our BW tank and as I stated above, we have minimal algae growth.

Now I know most people are algae haters, but I do like it on my DW, rocks, filter tubes, and other decor. I keep nerites to keep it in check. It works out perfectly for me. They keep it from getting out of control.

Thanks for the feedback. As I said earlier I don't have a problem yet but this gave me an excuse!! I just sent payment through Aquabid for 4 Corona, 3 Zebra and 3 Ruby nerites.

Back
Top Bottom