fish for my 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VariableEnigma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have a standard 10 gallon glass aquarium that I'd like to re-start. (As of now, it just has water, some rocks, and sand from a local pond in it.) I'm considering both freshwater and saltwater options.

As for my freshwater ideas, I have some plants for it in a seperate container (java moss, java fern, and watersprite), but nothing else. I really like cichlids (I've heard that it's possible to keep some species of small cichlids in pairs in 10 gallon tanks) and gouramis (I think the smaller varieties can be kept in 10 gallon tanks with other small, non-agressive fish).

Can you give me some suggestions and/or scenarios for my tank? I need to know what kind of substrate is appropriate and what kind of fish and plants I can keep.

A pair of rams might work in a ten gallon tank but they would have to be a well matched pair.

There are african cichlids called shell dwellers that would do great in a ten gallon tank. They need special water conditions however, and your plants might not do that well. So you will want to do some research.

Dwarf gouramis would be fine in a ten gallon, you could mix them with some neons, or cardinals and maybe some dwarf cories.

You might consider some neon, or cardinal tetras. My suggestion though, is just buy a bigger tank. You can get a twenty gal. for a pretty decent price (20-30$), and that would give you more options. Ultimately It's up to you.
-Blizzard

I have a 20 gallon long and a 45 gallon, both of which are not being used right now. There are problems with setting those up, though. Firstly, I would need to spend the money on hoods, lighting and filtration. Being an almost-broke college student makes that harder. But the biggest problem is that I plan to move to a dorm or apartment within the year. I don't know if I will be able to have those tanks where I will be moving, and I don't want to leave yet another thing for my mom to have to take care of when I'm gone.

^I hear ya.
I guess I'll have to face this problem in a few years :( .
So much to look forward to, lol.

I keep thinking and thinking. I work at my local PETCO, and I took a look at our fish room today. I've come up with all sorts of tank options based on what we have and what I like.

2-3 blue ram cichlids (with something else? I don't know).

1-2 flame or dwarf gouramis with 3-6 bloodfin or glowlite tetras.

1-2 blue gouramis with 3-6 silver tipped tetras.

2-3 silver tipped tetras and 4-5 glowlite tetras, or 3-4 black phantom tetras and 4-5 bloodfin tetras, or just 5-7 white clouds, or any of the other tetras I've mentioned...

I want the tank mates to look good together, especially because I won't have the room to add very many fish to the mix. Does that make sense? Because I won't have the room to add much variety, I want to make sure the tank mates are well-suited to each other- both in their temperments, but also in their looks.

I just filled up a 20 gallon long that I've had in my basement for a few years to see if it leaks. If it does well, I might just use it instead. (I would have to buy a new hood, lighting, filter, and probably gravel for it. I don't know how much money I can spend on this project.)

So far, my favoite tetras are (in no particular order) black phantom tetras, glowlite tetras, bloodfin tetras, and silver tipped tetras. I was thinking that if I keep on with the 10 gallon tank, my best bet might be just two of those species to compliment each other (such as 4-5 glowlites and 5-6 black phantoms), and just leave it at that.

You really should not add sand from a local pond into an aquarium. I've never done it, but I wouldn't want to try. It could be polluted, carry diseases, and contain worms. If I were you I would go with a barebottom tank, its much easier to clean. I'd also suggest that you stick with freshwater for now unless you have read alot about saltwater, can buy a bigger tank, and willing to pay ALOT of money.

The list of fish you want will be WAY too much, understocking is better than overstocking. How about 2 dwarf gouramis, 6-8 tetras of your choice, and 3-4 cories. German Blue rams are not a good choice unless you know what you are doing, bolivians are easier to keep IME.

HTH

What did you do to clean the sand and rocks from the local pond?

And bolivians are hardier then GBR's they are less genetically manipulated... :p

bolivians

Bolivian rams are good fish and I haven't lost one yet. I can't say the same for blue rams. The Bolivians do get a bit bigger than blues. The color is very subdued too. Overall a nice fish with good personality.

Dwarf gouramis IME are somewhat aggressive. Two of them in a ten gallon may not work well at all. I had two in a 29 gallon and that didn't work. Some people say to get them in odd numbers to spread out the aggression, I think.

Okay, first of all, the reason that the sand is from a local pond is because I was housing fish from that pond. I needed to keep the environment as close to their original one as possible. I was just observing them, and now they've gone back to the pond. I'm ready to dump out that sand and water and start afresh.

Secondly, that list of fish isn't necessarily a list of fish that I want all in my aquarium, that is a list of fish that I like. I know that I can't keep all of them at once.

I would go with a nice school of neon tetras. This is what we have in my sons 10g along with 3 otto cats. I love the way the neons school together it looks great.

Back
Top Bottom