Fish for sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 225 gallon acrylic tank that I have hooked up to a 75 gallon sump.

The fish in my main tank are south american cichlids.

I want to know what you would out in your sump if you could.

My ideas are geophagus, discus, use it as a grow out.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No ideas?

Why would you do that? You run the risk of the fish getting sucked through the pump, you're adding bioload to your tank for no reason. Just set up another grow out tank for the fish if you want, leave the sump for filtration and biomedia.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I can't see growing out fish in a sump,
But if the flow was fast enough it might make a good "river" type tank for fast water fish.

The safest way to have inhabitants in your "sump" is to have a split sump where a controlled portion of the water goes into a refugium section and the majority goes through a higher flow section with all your biomedia and such. Trying to keep flow rates slow enough for a grow out tank will negate the benefits of a sump and risk air build-up in the U tube if you're using a HOB overflow box.

It would look kind of like this:
| Refugium | return pump | Filtration section |
Water would flow into both the Refugium and filtration parts after being split from the overflow drain and flow down to the middle section to return to the tank. You'll want to make sure the fish can't leap the wall between the refugium and return pump too.

Also bear in mind that this will require you to understock the display tank since a portion of the bioload needs to be reserved for the refugium inhabitants.

Why would you do that? You run the risk of the fish getting sucked through the pump, you're adding bioload to your tank for no reason. Just set up another grow out tank for the fish if you want, leave the sump for filtration and biomedia.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have an fx6 filter, this one will have filter floss and foam to block the in and outs

Back
Top Bottom