Fish gasping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
do you have surface agitation to get oxygen into the tank?

Yes and I have a bubbler in the tank. Which provides more agitation.

The first things that come to mind (some of which have been covered) are-

- Toxin spikes (are you using a quality test kit like an API master kit?

- Insufficient aeration (the air stone will help, otherwise point the output up to break the surface if it's a canister filter, or lower the water level a bit so the water splashes down if it's a HOB filter)

- Some type of illness / parasite effecting the gills and making respiration difficult. (do they have red gills, or any signs of illness?)

- A contaminant in the water (air freshener, cleaning product, etc...)

Either way I'd keep up the pwc's. Personally I'd probably do 2x 30% pwc's per day until things get better or you discover the cause.

Ok there's plenty of airation. I'm using API liquid test kit. There gills are only red on the guppies under bright light due to them being translucent. I don use air trendier in my basement.

Sorry I can't think of anything else :(. I'd keep up the water changes every day, make sure you use a good water conditioner, and keep a very close eye out for illness. I hope it turns out okay.

I'll do 20 per Pwc once or twice a day. I use prime. I'm really confused. I think my fish are dying.

If there are no visible signs of illness / disease / parasites, and you have good levels and aeration, I'd have to believe it's a contaminant that made it into the tank.

If they appear in that much distress, I'd really step up the water changes, and possibly do back to back 50% pwc's tonight. If there's something bad in the water, we've got to get it out. If you have carbon, it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw that in as well.

Did a 50 per water change.but they seemed fine when I went down there. I think my fish are selectively I'll.

you could also completely tear down the tank and start over or do a partial tear down. if its a contaminant then a partial tear down might be the best option. put the fish in a separate container put the filter media in with them then completely tear down whats left fill it back up with water and replace the filter media and put the fish in the tank without any of the old water.

A partial tear down would be a pain. Filling a bucket up with new water takes 5 minutes, then carry downstairs, repeat 4 more times.

well the fish seem much better now, guppies are still "gasping" which i now believe was never actually gasping, i believe they were being silly and trying to eat bubble from the top. today the guppies were swimming up and down the wall along with my corys, they must be somewhat intelligent.

Mine do that a lot too, it's like they go back and forth trying to see what species they can blend in with the best. Just in case (not to beat a dead horse) how long has your tank been established? When you cleaned it out, did you use any soap or anything with it? I know kind of a long shot but that would really mess stuff up. Hopefully everything is good though and no further issues

Back
Top Bottom