Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish getting through the weir and into the overflow

I have a 60 gallon "reef-ready" tank I recently set up as a planted tank and added several corys and kuhli loaches to this past weekend. The problem I'm having is that they apparently LOVE to get into the overflow for some reason. The overflow compartment is too tall and skinny to just net the fish out, so I've been pulling the riser tube to flush them into the sump, and then trying to net them from there, which is also a complete pain to do.

I've tried floss pads, but they choke the flow too much and I'm afraid I'll dry out the sump and overflow the tank. Has anyone ever added some kind of netting to their weir to keep this from happening? Before I resort to anymore redneck engineering, I figured I'd check if anyone else had a solution.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hello,
I have an 80G Innovative Marine AIO tank which I am using for FW. I added these fish guards, not sure if it will work for your tank.

They have smaller and medium posted here. Online there are many vendors selling them.
https://www.innovative-marine.com/sh...tion-c53491179

A possible thought is building a "cage" out of black or other color plastic canvas for needle point. You can use colored fishing line /fly tying line and structure something together.

My fish guard does allow an occasional Endler fry to go into it, but certainly not a regular fish.

Also agree net or things with smaller mesh like a net would very much reduce the proper flow

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Yarn-Need...1-2%22/p/36825

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, flow, overflow, weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com