Fish getting trapped in the filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Every once and a while I have a fish get caught in the filter grate (The filter media is in the hood, and a tube goes down to the bottom of the tank and has a large box for the floss, thats where the fish get stuck) Is there anything I can do to prevent this? The one that got caught yesterday was a male fancy guppy.

What is your setup like? Normally this is happening for 2 reasons.

1. Your suction is too strong. Solution- you could put more floss in there or you could put an old pair of pantyhose around it and secure it with a rubber band.

2. Your water parameters aren't where they should be and your fish are stressed, weak and are getting sucked up.

Until you give more info on your setup and water parameters, that would be my guess.

IMO I think a healthy fish would be able to avoid getting sucked in.

True dat with the healthy fish. :mrgreen:

The only fish I have getting sucked up into the filter are guppy fry, but I think my problem was that the holes for the intake tube were larger than the fry. Fixed that with a thin sponge and rubber band. 0X

I need to get a new test kit tonight, I'll post when I take it. The guppy was dead, it happened overnight. I'll probally put more floss in it.

I personally think it's your water parameter. Healthy fish don't get sucked into the intake tube.

How often are you doing water changes and vacumming your gravel?

Back
Top Bottom