Fish have a green tooth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently (about 3 weeks ago) I added some salvinia to my tank. There is slowly getting less and less in my tank that has guppies and harlequin rasboras. There is what look like bite marks. They aren't starving because I am feeding them 2 times a day. The plants that are in a breeder net are looking really good so it's not the water. Are my fish eating my salvinia? A while ago I tried to grow duckweed and they ate all faster than it could grow, but the salvinia is a lot bigger than the duckweed.

Fishobsessed7

It would be a first for me. My harlequins and guppies ignore plants completely. Could you post a picture and what else is in the tank?

That's all that's in the tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420846011.073959.jpg main tank

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420846052.158378.jpgcompared to breeder net

Fishobsessed7

Hey fish,
I doubt your fish are grazing on it. My bet is that it likes the water conditions in the breeder better (ie: difference in water flow, access to nutrients)
I have some water lettuce I experimented with. It melted in my 35, 15, and 20 but is doing well in my 55. I have a floating breeder box in the 55 for fry so I put some in there and it started to melt a little again. My assumption is it didn't like the decreased surface agitation. Since salvinia is a floating plant I assume it's the same distance to the light in both scenarios.

My Frogbit doesn't like flow. A little to distribute food, but too much and it gets beaten up. I keep my filter to one side to leave a quieter area at on end.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom