Fish i cannot identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nextgeneration40

Aquarium Advice Activist
Back when I had a tank 20 years ago I had a school of fish that now I cannot remember the name of and cannot seem to find them anymore (I know this sounds a little strange) they were roughly the size of a tiger barb but were basically see-through with the exception of a neon colored stripe on their body below the dorsal fin and another neon stripe on the bottom. I had an orange, blue, and green striped on if I remember correctly....Anyhoo, would anyone like to hazard a guess as to the species????

I dont think so, these were about 3 sizes bigger than the neons I had, (unless there is a bigger breed I may not know about) Its kind of driving me nuts as I tried to explain it to my wife and she just looks at me, smiles and says "Uh huh"... I just remember they were cool because you could basically see through them and see their internal organs and such...I dont know, maybey it was poor memory or something...

62a.jpg

these guys?

could it possible be a fish called the " glass fish " I remember long ago they had a fish called that but havent seen them around anymore,another fish that I havent seen for sale anymore is the cardinal (looks like large neon w/ reverse colors kinda) and then the hatchet fish. Are these fish still available anymore?

Herp_Mommy gets the gold star! that is exactly what I had, and I cannot find them anymore (at least around here...) Ummm... so what are they?

Herp_Mommy gets the gold star! that is exactly what I had, and I cannot find them anymore (at least around here...) Ummm... so what are they?

they go by several different common names, mostly Painted Glassfish. there's still some varieties left, but probably nothing the exact same as what you had

yeah, they inject dye into those fish to get the colors, I believe they are now sorta taboo as it is seen as cruel... I see them every now and then at walmart, mostly in pastel colors now, pink and light blue... I heard they are hard to keep as they are not a very hardy fish. searched for painted glass fish and found this pretty quickly: Glass fish Parambassis ranga aquarium tropical fish from Tropical Fish and Aquariums

ID the fish

I believe herp mama is right just as I was thinking they were . But long ago they didnt come in colors and you could see every part of there insides. I heard some time ago that the fish are injected with some sort of dye and as they get older the color fades But I dont know them as indian glass fish they were called just glass fish as I remember. The pic that harp mama are the same fish I am thinking of. I am still wondering what happened to cardinals and hatchett fish I havent seen them in some years now

Back
Top Bottom