Fish I.D. SAE or Flying Fox ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey folks, I just picked these up from a local PetSmart for free ! They weren't marked / priced so I guess you get them for free ?! :dance: She gave me three. I thought they were SAE right off the bat, but now I'm wondering. My eyes are going crazy from looking and comparing all the online pics !! Opinions ??

Thanks in advance !!
Jim

414016603.jpg
[/IMG]

414016602.jpg
[/IMG]

My vote is sae based on reticulated boarder of Black and black going through the tail. How many whiskers?

Hey folks, I just picked these up from a local PetSmart for free ! They weren't marked / priced so I guess you get them for free ?! :dance: She gave me three. I thought they were SAE right off the bat, but now I'm wondering. My eyes are going crazy from looking and comparing all the online pics !! Opinions ??

Thanks in advance !!
Jim

414016603.jpg
[/IMG]

414016602.jpg
[/IMG]

It appears to be a siamensis AKA "True Siamese Algae eater" to me, but I could be wrong. SAEs and Flying foxes get mixed up often because they are almost identical physically. The flying fox has a little flap on the corners of its mouth and will occasionally have more black on its dorsal fin. SAEs lack the flaps and always have clear dorsals flying foxes also tend to have a more well defined white lateral streak on their side while an SAEs white streak tends to be more gold and less defined.

Great news !!! Thanks for the I.D. I had some Flying Fox's a while back I had to get rid of, they turned nasty !! These will be gifted out as well as this is only a 20G L , so they will out grow it pretty fast, but hopefully not before cleaning things up a bit.

Thanks Again !!

Back
Top Bottom