Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a 90gallon settup at work in the lobby, i stocked it after its first 2 weeks of cycling, went to petsmart and got a veriaty of african cichlids. Curious on this one, they said it is not even though they do carry them now, but looks like a frontosa to me. Other cichlids share similarities, but i need to be sure. Sorry for the low res pic. this freakin fish does not like to come out of the rocks for pictures often. plus iphone has a delay in the shutter speed.:facepalm:

I think it is a banded or convict cichlid. i know its a cichlid.

yeah, its just something about his bottom fins (someone can let me know the technical term for these fins) are pointed straight down, and it looks like the ones in google images of frontosa. Again, the pet store told me he is not a frontosa, but they have been wrong in the past. Not to mention it was a petsmart and not a specialty store...

I would go with your guess frontosa. I know it's not a convict that's for sure

He does have 6 black stripes like fronts and his bottom fins(sorry I can't remember the name) do look kinda blue in the 3rd pic, I think lighting also helps bring out the blues in their fins.

Cute fish btw

I am going to try and get a better pic, we have LEDs so its a little dim. Thanks for the comments and your expertise!

Back
Top Bottom