Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
This little guy was in the feeder guppy tank at my LFS and they didnt know what it was and it only cost 20 cents so I got it.

I was wondering if any of you might know what it is?
img_2029153_0_1f701206963ee4958cb65e88597b2581.jpg

Sorry all, definitely not a barb, certainly not a Roseline Shark (Puntius Denisonii).

Looks like a Least Killifish. Female most likely. It seems to be a little scared as the coloration isn't truly there. Great find though! They are lovely little US native fish. The males used to be the smallest known vertebrates! If you can find some more k would get some! They can be kept in small unheated bowls. Again, great find!

Looks like a female bluefin killifish (Lucania goodei). I used to breed these by the bucketload in a backyard pond when I lived in Arizona.

Tony

Thanks guys! I've never seen one of these in a shop before, are they not common? I saw some others but they didn't have a stripe. How can I provide a better environment for her? She seems to school with the Danios.

I don't notice any sporadic behavior to indicate stress but I'm a returning noob to this.

Bluefins often turn up in dealers' plant tanks - I gather from Florida suppliers. They attach their eggs to plants, which subsequently hatch out in the dealers' tanks. I have also seen them (and other species, such as swamp darters) mixed among live foods - such as ghost shrimps. Just keep an eye out for them in plant tanks and among feeder shrimp shipments and you should be able to turn up some more. Otherwise, you could check on-line for native fish suppliers. They are pretty undemanding to keep, though will show much better colour (and will breed far more readily) if kept in an outdoor pond. The ones I kept in Phoenix, Arizona, survived throughout the year outside - so handled light frost as well as very nasty heat.

Tony

Since I see this fish is not a tropical fish, are my temps too warm? My tank gets about 77-78 at night and 80-80.5 during the day. I haven't been using a water heater as I keep my house around 76-77F and its been in the high 90's to mid 100's here in Indiana during this wonderful drought. Would it be wise to just move him to a cold water tank? My mother is looking for a fish to keep since her betta passed away after MANY years.

What is the smallest tank size it can live in comfortably? I was going to also give her my 3 starter guppies since they no longer aesthetically match my tank they were cycling fish and have already started having offspring.

They are totally fine in those temps, this species is endemic to central and southern Florida so their care is similar to most tropicals. Killies in general are very hardy and adaptable as well.

Back
Top Bottom