Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Havent had to post an ID thread in awhile! So I went to get feeders for my leaf fish. Of course they didnt have enough ghost shrimp so I had to get fish. The guy said they were rosy red minnows and had just been treated for parasites. Ok. He brings out a bag full of platies.... so he knows nothing about fish apparantly. In the bag was this guy. He has stripes that dont show well in the pic. He is kinda cool actually but I dont know what he is. Sorry for the poor pic.

ForumRunner_20140116_191751.jpg
Thanks for any help and God bless!

BTW it does have a normal mouth shape not a sucker mouth. I think this rules out SAE and the other.

Very interesting. I've never seen a fish like that before. It does appear to have very faint vertical stripes. And looks like it has an upturned mouth like surface feeders such as killifish and livebearers.

Very interesting. I've never seen a fish like that before. It does appear to have very faint vertical stripes. And looks like it has an upturned mouth like surface feeders such as killifish and livebearers.

Yea his mouth isnt like super up turned. Kinda forward. Looks kinda like a shark. Hes about to move to my other tank before the leaf fish feast....

Tried to get a closer pic but he runs to the opposite side of the tank everytime!

looks kind of like a mosquito fish but it is hard to tell from the pic.

looks kind of like a mosquito fish but it is hard to tell from the pic.

Defenitly not a mosquito fish. Im sorry the pics are so bad! I cant get him! He is much more slender than the mos fish. Tail isnt as round either. Also the mouth is kinda slemder and forward facing. Then there are the stripes.

Hmmm. Well it appears it and its platy friends may have ich. Grrr.... I hate my LFS sometimes...

What about a glassfish? Looks transparent to me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could be a very stressed out humming bird tetra. That was my first thought.

From my short research on these, it looks like they are primarily bottom dwellers like gobys. The fish in the OP's picture appears to spend it's time in the mid level of the water.

From my short research on these, it looks like they are primarily bottom dwellers like gobys. The fish in the OP's picture appears to spend it's time in the mid level of the water.

For the most part so far it does spend its time in lower midlevel. Is was lying down earlier but it didnt seem normal. It is probably quiet sick. I just wish we coukd figure out what it is!

Back
Top Bottom