Fish Id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've had these rainbows for less than a year I was told they were chilatherina sentani, but after researching more today I read no aquarist keeps them as they are on the red list for endangered, they started that most are actually keeping Chilatherina fasciatus but mine look nothing like that, the sentani have a lot of blue in them, I've even seen them that were very red mine are kinda teal /brown if I can ever get a better picture, maybe after my new light gets here I will be able to show the real colors, but I just wanna know what they are as they are gorgeous in person
https://i.imgur.com/7gTLkWt.jpg

No ID from me, but just to muddy the clear waters, my comment is that there are often color variations in the same specie of fish based upon collection sites.

With some of our hobbyist breeders of a variety of fish I see their collected wild specimens do not exactly look like what has been color and form bred in the hobby. AND some do not look like the same fish at all to me.

With the variety of lighting available, some colors seem different in pics and video. Doctored images, if you are comparing online images are also prevalent.

How is the color different to you in person than in the pics?

No ID from me, but just to muddy the clear waters, my comment is that there are often color variations in the same specie of fish based upon collection sites.

With some of our hobbyist breeders of a variety of fish I see their collected wild specimens do not exactly look like what has been color and form bred in the hobby. AND some do not look like the same fish at all to me.

With the variety of lighting available, some colors seem different in pics and video. Doctored images, if you are comparing online images are also prevalent.

How is the color different to you in person than in the pics?
That's actually a bad picture taken from a video. I have a better one where you can see the blue, purple, green etc etc this is still taken off a video and the new light doesn't really give shimmer much, and it's bright if I had a black background and darker substrate rainbows color up better.

Sentani https://imgur.com/gallery/a4kiEPb

Maybe a really good Rainbow person can tell. I can see the hints of color in the bright wash of light. Yes, you are right, they would get even better color in the right conditions. I am still learning Rainbow.

Maybe a really good Rainbow person can tell. I can see the hints of color in the bright wash of light. Yes, you are right, they would get even better color in the right conditions. I am still learning Rainbow.
The light washes them out for sure, it's Hella bright lol

I'm really going to muddy up the water, but the second pic looks like Chilatherina Bleheri /
Bleher's Rainbow fish.
I've seen examples of Rainbow fish displayed in different LFS, sold under the same name, but all have subtle but noticable differences. Although they all might be technically the same species, depending on what creek, river or lake the originals came from, slight genetic variations occur.
Your particular Rainbows are not the typical garden variety types that are readily available. So in that respect "You win".

I'm really going to muddy up the water, but the second pic looks like Chilatherina Bleheri /
Bleher's Rainbow fish.
I've seen examples of Rainbow fish displayed in different LFS, sold under the same name, but all have subtle but noticable differences. Although they all might be technically the same species, depending on what creek, river or lake the originals came from, slight genetic variations occur.
Your particular Rainbows are not the typical garden variety types that are readily available. So in that respect "You win".
I don't know if I won @ $20.00 each lol, but they are really pretty in person the videos/pics do them justice, but I agree they are in the chilatherina family for sure, here's a video that shows them a bit better, turned the brightness down on the phone a bit so it doesn't wash out the colors.
https://youtu.be/b8rSWiPyz1M

The tank is looking awesome. You turned out to be A pretty good aqua-gardener.

The tank is looking awesome. You turned out to be A pretty good aqua-gardener.
Ty still a work in progress I need more bushier greens and learn to not spread the Ludwigia all over the tank and keep them bunched up which I will fix tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom