Fish ID Please Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blaine3119

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been wanting a dragon fish, done lots of research and ready to purchase one. My wife came home with a "surprise" today, LFS said it is a Dragon Fish, does not look like the dragon goby I was wanting. What is this thing, it is scaring me!!!!!!!

Attachments

• keagan_012_206.jpg
    keagan_012_206.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 61
  • keagan_009_763.jpg
    keagan_009_763.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 62
Looks like a pleco of some sort to me... but I am totally new to this whole fish thing! LOL

It is a brackish/saltwater fish called an Oyster Toadfish it is venomous and highly predatory. Most of the time they are sold as freshwater stonefish which is not far off except for the freshwater part. They are a really cool fish none the less.

8O I think I would be taking it back to the lfs. I didn't know what it was but didn't think it looked like a FW fish to me.

If you were looking for Dragon Gobies then you should already be set up for brackish water I would suggest keeping him for a while, I really liked them and really like watching them tear into the Fiddler Crabs that I gave them as a treat. Just stay away from the first 3 spines on the dorsal It's not a lethal venom but it still sucks alot, and the jaws are like a razor lined bear trap wich also really sucks. I found all of this out within my first week of owning them, it hadn't even been 2 days after I was stung when I was bitten.

Thanks for all the info, I will be keeping him since I am already set up. One question for you rwhayley, were you trying to hand feed it or just cleaning and it attacked your hand??? Also, I have read alot of conflicting info on the web, how big do they get?? Thanks again, Blaine.

My book says about 15 inches for max size mine never reached 12. I was removing crab shells that wouldn't siphon and got too close to the opening of it's cave that is when I was bitten, but I did have some close calls from out right attacks. I suggest feeding Squid and Ghost Shrimp. If they are to be hand fed definately us a feeding stick!

If you have a brackish set up already, I would definitely keep it. I'm sure this is not a beginner fish, but if you're up to it -- that thing is awesome!!!!

yea, i say, if you can properly take care of it, keep it. That is one awesome fish!!

rkilling1 said:
This is the same tank that you put Discus in?

The Discus were in this tank, moved them to a little bigger tank and set this one up Brakish Water. Even I know better than putting Satan in with my community fish.

Batrachus trispinosus...we have a few (our fourth batch) in at the shop just now....very interesting little fish.

rwhayley, can you describe what the sting was like and how you treated it? There is little data on the sting of this particular species, and I am curious.

Wow. I think that has now topped sculpins as my favorite predatory bottom dweller.

I think its kind of scary...I'll stick with my sweet little platys and tetras, thanks.... :D

Back
Top Bottom