Fish identification help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hadn't even thought of posting these pictures, but stumbled back across them and, since I hadn't found an ID yet, thought I would throw them on here and see what you kind folks could ponder through...

I went to Guatemala on mission trips in Summer of 2005 and 2006. After that first trip, staying on Lake Petén Itzá, I decided if I got to come again, I would bring some light fishing tackle. Sure enough, I was privileged to go again (2006) and did some fishing. The locals didn't know the "name" of these fish - only that two of the three, they eat! they gave very generic names - so much so, they really were no help.

These are the three kinds of fish I caught - one looks very familiar to me, and two of the three, I believe, are cichlids.

25zjbib.jpg

29urno7.jpg

43p5t.jpg

First minnow-like fish, I think, is Astyanax aeneus - one of only a couple of fish in the Characidae family.

The long-mouthed one, the only similar fish I can find-Petenia splendid - also known by the common name "Bay Snook"...

Back
Top Bottom