fish in a bottle...in a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thebluyak

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I took some advice and "quarentined" the betta in a bottle inside my 10 gallon tank. This way the temp will be regulated but the ICH wont spread to my angel and tetras. I used a 2 L coke bottle and pulled off all the label, my question is will the "glue" used to hold the label on seep into the tank and harm my tetras and angel. Also its the funniest thing to see my angel go up to the bottle, the betta will throw its gills and the angel will just sit there and look at it..he has the most amazing personality in a fish! I cannot wait till i get my discus going in my 55.

thanks!
Ryan

There is the possibility the glue could slowly release toxins into the water. Plus, if the fish in the bottle has ick, the rest of the fish would be able to get it as well, unless the top is sealed and you are just using the tank to maintain the temp. If you had mesh on the end, yes, ick can spread into the tank.

I assume the top of the bottle is above the water level of the tank? If that is the case the ich won't be able to spread. The glue on the bottle may cause a problem, not sure on that one. Can you remove it or use a glass bottle of some form?

So how long do you plan on keeping the fish in that small area with no filtration to speak of? If you are getting discus, it will behoove you to set up a small quarantine tank. They cost very little to set up and will easily pay for themselves. I wouldn't put that type of plastic in my tank, glue or no.

i agree, a quaratine tank would be the best solution.
but i also undertsand that considering costs or equipment/space/time/eletricity its unimaginable for some people to set them up.

however, where was the betta living to begin with?
i assume it wasn't with your angels and tetras, so didn't it have its own tank?
betta's really do deserve their own small sized aquarium and for optinum health they need a heater (it also makes them 10x more active!).
incidently, its quite easy to treat ich by raising the temperture to around 30 degrees for at most 48hrs, it kills the ich through some part of their cycle.
thats how i've always successfully treated ich
:)

yeah the top of the bottle is above the water level, right now I dont have another aquarium open unless i fill my 55 gallon, then i still dont have another heater. Im going to look for a glass bottle. The betta was "adopted" from a girl at Elon university that didnt want it anymore and it was in a bowel with no heater all its life. I couldnt go get another heater or tank right now for money reasons so im kinda in a rut right now, what do yall think I should do?

if you're going to keep the betta in that tiny container make sure you change the water out every couple of days, and that you'r esure you can get him out once hes cured.

oh its not a tiny bottle, its a huge vase that takes up about a quarter of the tank, so he has ample room to move up and down, I will keep his water changed and keep some prime in his water just to be sure nitrates,nitrites and ammonia dont hurt him. So I am soppused to keep him for 2 weeks at 86 degrees with a tiny bit of salinity to the water? I read the article but it said 7.6 grains of salt for a gallon, so I figured im pretty close to a gallon so I put in about 4 or 5. Do you think I would need some more? I also used pure rock salt not table, im not that dumb! LOL Just so yall know, m 10 gallon is my qt tank when i get my discus, the tetras and single angel are going in the 55.

I don't use salt with the heat method for treating ich. As long as you change the water often and add the dechlorinator and keep the temp the same as the tank water you will see improvement. I read the earlier thread and know what you are up against with this situation. I still would try and find a glass bottle or container for him if possible. Heat needs to be kept at 86 for 2 weeks AFTER the last spot of ich is gone.

Go move going with the vase idea--I know it will work since I have used that method in the past. Of course PWC will need to be done daily, but that is easy in a gallon vase. I always use salt with the heat method since the osmolarity is adjusted by such a minute amount as to only harm the ich parasite and not the fish. My only question for you now is where will the beta live after the ich is gone?

My gf is going to take the betta and until then he will live in the planted 10 gallon by himself, im moving the single angel and lemon and bloodfin tetras to my 55 gallon once its cycled and add the discus fish. Then whe my gf takes the betta my 10 gallon will be empty and become my QT tank. I hope all this will work, so 86 degrees after the last ich is gone, add small amount of salt and prime and daily WC...alright got it all, thanks guys!

86 degrees after the last ich is gone, add small amount of salt and prime and daily WC
Keep that up for two weeks after the last ich spot is gone. I hope this all works out too!

Back
Top Bottom