Fish in cycle confusion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franky.2015

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I am currently doing a fish-in cycle with a 20 gallon Freshwater tank. I am using 2 zebra danios, in which I plan on keeping after the cycle is complete. I am using the Api Master test kit so my tests are accurate. I know how to use them.* (Don't tell me I might be using them wrong because I'm not.) So far, the cycle has been going on for 3 months and two weeks. I started the cycle on December 3rd 2014. I am a little confused about what is going on in my tank. I followed the proper procedures of doing 25-30% water changes everyday to reduce the ammonia amounts to under .25 ppm so the fish wouldn't die. After 2 months the ammonia finally dropped to zero. And no nitrites or nitrates appeared. I waited. On the 3rd month, the ammonia began to rise again* But no nitrites or nitrates ever rose.* I did water changes to keep the ammonia down. Three days ago , I tested, and it was .50 ppm of ammonia , no nitrite, and 2 ppm of nitrate. I did a water change to get the ammonia down under .25 ppm. Two days later (today) it is now* .25 ppm of ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5 ppm nitrates. I noticed the ammonia is going down and the nitrates are rising. But still no nitrites. What now?

My tank cycled with fish-in and I never saw nitrites. It can happen. It sounds to me like you are finally getting the cycle going. Hopefully it won't be long now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello Frank...

A couple of things: Danios need numbers to do well in any tank. 8 to 10 is the least number of fish for this species to do well. They're very active swimmers and need a bit of space. But, since you have them.

20 gallons is quite a bit of water. I don't think two fish are enough to produce the steady source of ammonia needed to begin the nitrogen cycle. You'll need 5 or 6. Add more later, once the tank is cycled. Add some floating plants to help keep the tank water a bit more stable between water changes.

You should test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water with new, treated tap water. Test daily and change the water when needed. When you have several daily tests with no traces of the above forms of nitrogen, the tank is cycled. At this point, you change half the water every few days for the life of the tank.

B

Thanks Lotocus. Hopefully it does finish already. I've been waiting too long. And @ BBradbury : You helped me 0%. -_-

Hello Frank...
20 gallons is quite a bit of water. I don't think two fish are enough to produce the steady source of ammonia needed to begin the nitrogen cycle. You'll need 5 or 6. Add more later, once the tank is cycled. Add some floating plants to help keep the tank water a bit more stable between water changes.

No...

If the 2 fish wasn't enough to cycle the tank then he wouldn't be seeing ammonia levels.

Thanks Lotocus. Hopefully it does finish already. I've been waiting too long. And @ BBradbury : You helped me 0%. -_-

It's not unusual to be seeing 0ppm of nitrites throughout a fish in cycle. It's something that happens now and then.

I( would personally be more worried about the ammonia levels that keep increasing. Do you change your filter cartridge on a regular basis? If so, that would explain the current ammonia levels.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry about doing a water change at 0.25ppm ammonia level. That particular level is perfectly safe for fish. When it rises above that is when you should be doing the water changes.

Are you using a water treatment/dechlorinator?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am using a dechlorinator. The ammonia is actually decreasing and the nitrate is increasing. The nitrite still remains at 0.

Have you tested your tap/source water for ammonia? What type dechlorinator?

I am using the API Stress Coat +. I have tested the tap water and it does have some ammonia. My cycle must be progressing because the nitrate levels are rising and ammonia is decreasing.

I'd reccomended using prime, just to rule out variables. I didn't have much luck with api as a conditioner with my tap, registered ammonia as well.

I am using the API Stress Coat +. I have tested the tap water and it does have some ammonia. My cycle must be progressing because the nitrate levels are rising and ammonia is decreasing.

As far as I know API stress coat doesn't detoxify ammonia. You would need API ammono lock for that but prime could cover everything.

As far as I know API stress coat doesn't detoxify ammonia. You would need API ammono lock for that but prime could cover everything.

Not sure it helps with chloramines?? Could be wrong though, either way.. from personal experience, when I had a tough initial cycle... prime seemed to right the ship..

Not sure it helps with chloramines?? Could be wrong though, either way.. from personal experience, when I had a tough initial cycle... prime seemed to right the ship..

I think that's it. It breaks the bond but doesn't detoxify ammonia. Must go check API site (again). Ian(?) got me onto seachem safe and that's been great as long as you never smell it. Only one family member was that foolish but on the plus side I find garbage night no longer a problem :)

+1 on the prime. Plus it's way more concentrated than anything else so you use less of it and it lasts longer. To me, it sounds like you are getting there.

I think that's it. It breaks the bond but doesn't detoxify ammonia. Must go check API site (again). Ian(?) got me onto seachem safe and that's been great as long as you never smell it. Only one family member was that foolish but on the plus side I find garbage night no longer a problem :)

I don't mind the smell of safe! Its actually easier than the liquid, i just "borrowed" a teaspoon from my gf ' s fancy measuring set:)

I still dont get why people dont do fishless cycles. Much easier to control the cycle and cleaner. Plus in my opinion it works out quicker im most ocassions. Some people just dont have any patience they get a new tank and need fish in it straight away.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I still dont get why people dont do fishless cycles. Much easier to control the cycle and cleaner. Plus in my opinion it works out quicker im most ocassions. Some people just dont have any patience they get a new tank and need fish in it straight away.

Nothing wrong with fish in cycle, I've done it in many tanks and so have others without issues and it's not any slower or faster than any other method.
There are many factors with any cycling that affects the time involved, patience is one of them.

Opinion... nothing wrong with fish in..

Back
Top Bottom