Fish-in cycle over. Time to stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so long story short. I had a Fish-in cycle recently. It's been almost a week since the cycle ended, no ammonia spikes or nitrites. There are just minor nitrates. Anyway, the point of this thread is I want to know if it'll be okay if I stock 4 fish tomorrow? I finally got this tank healthy after 2 months of torture. (Feel free to read my previous posts if you want to catch up on my situation) is my tank established now that the cycle is over?

If you don't have a holding tank,make sure that you observe the fish in the tank that you are getting them from,and make sure all fish in that tank look healthy.You don't want to bring anything into your tank.

If you don't have a holding tank,make sure that you observe the fish in the tank that you are getting them from,and make sure all fish in that tank look healthy.You don't want to bring anything into your tank.
I know. Unfortunately, corporate companies are all that's around here :/ so I have to go to petco as much as I don't want to. I wish I wish I had an LFS. I heard awful things about petco. I know they treat their fish horribly, but I feel like I'm rescuing them haha!

I would not more then double the stock in the tank in a single week or at once maybe?
So if the tank has less then 4 fish in it now then the quick answer is no. I have not read up on your situation just stating fish cycle facts. You can hopefully fill in the blanks?
Too much of an increase in the 'bio load' will just result in another mini cycle...
You WANT to see nitrAtes if you don't understand the whole cycle thing...

I would not more then double the stock in the tank in a single week or at once maybe?
So if the tank has less then 4 fish in it now then the quick answer is no. I have not read up on your situation just stating fish cycle facts. You can hopefully fill in the blanks?
Too much of an increase in the 'bio load' will just result in another mini cycle...
You WANT to see nitrAtes if you don't understand the whole cycle thing...
I do understand the cycle. There are 6 fosh in my tank. So 4 is too much?

No 4 is not too much if it can be measured. This depends on size of fish and such...
Mathematically speaking you are increasing you bio load by 66% so I would test your water and be prepared to help out with water changes if needed..
Bacteria does exponentially grow but still in the interest of fish health , it is always better to be safe IMO.

No 4 is not too much if it can be measured. This depends on size of fish and such...
Mathematically speaking you are increasing you bio load by 66% so I would test your water and be prepared to help out with water changes if needed..
Bacteria does exponentially grow but still in the interest of fish health , it is always better to be safe IMO.
I plan on just getting 4 platys. That's what I lost through the cycling process. They'll probably be 1 inch each

Do you think adding seachem stability (bacteria) will help add some bacteria?

If the tank is big enough you should be fine . I like platies and swords! Just pay extra attention till you know the filter has caught up with the load.It has to grow...

If the tank is big enough you should be fine . I like platies and swords! Just pay extra attention till you know the filter has caught up with the load.It has to grow...
I have a 20 gallon

Back
Top Bottom