Fish-in or fishless cycle ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi!
So i have had my filter running in my used 55g tank I got a while ago, I'm ready to start cycling it.. I have always used goldfish provided by my friends who breads them, then give them back to her.. (From some reading on here I guess it wasn't the best move, but it has always worked for me..) I was wanting to do a fishless cycle (even start it tonight) is it a lot more trouble ? Is it quicker ? Does someone have a link that explains the process simply ?
Thank you very much!
(I eventually want rams, barbs, ropes fish)

My vote is for fish in. After all it's fish you will be keeping in the tank right?
Goldfish is perfect (not too big though) one or two depending on the size, you know the procedure.
There is a reason why it has always worked for you.

Thanks kinda what I was thinking.. I guess my readings made me a bit insecure.. The fish are fine the whole way thru and aren't harmed when I'm done.
Thanks!!

There will be people who tell you either side is better than the other. But the way I look at it, fish-less has less worry because you do not have to worry about the fish since there is none. If you are impatient (like me) and get fish, it can drive you crazy having to check the water all the time and wondering if you are hurting the fish. Either way is fine, although fish-in is more work. Personal preference!

I think with a 55g a fish-in is fine. With 1 goldifsh and weekly 50% water changes you wont do any damage to the fish. I think the fish-less is better for smaller tanks when the water gets dangerous very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom