Fish keep getting sucked in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have any ideas on what to cover the filter intake with so my guppies/tetras stop getting pulled in? I want to make sure it is a safe material for tanks and will allow the filter to still work well. Thanks

Cylindrical sponge with a hole through the centre designed for some brands of internal power filter. They look like the sponge in the link Aiken provided and you slide them over the intake strainer of the filter.

-----------------

Most healthy fish can stay away from the intake of a power filter. If your fish are being sucked onto the intake strainer, either the filter is too strong or the fish are sick.

What sort of filter is on the tank?
Can you adjust the flow on the filter to reduce the current in the tank?
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

It’s an old version of the Aqueon quietflow 20 so the intake is an inch wide tube.
I have a 26 gallon bow front so it is the right size filter I think.

It’s an old version of the Aqueon quietflow 20 so the intake is an inch wide tube.
I have a 26 gallon bow front so it is the right size filter I think.

It might be the right sized filter for the tank but not the right sized filter for your fish selection.
I'd either downsize your filter or switch the filter to an in-tank air driven sponge filter.

I take apart a plastic dish scrubber. It’s a rolled tube, a fine mesh that can be doubled over to create a finer mesh. I cut off a section and rubber band it to the uptake. I’ve done the same for certain types of gravel vacuums that are also used to drain water.

Last edited:
:brows:Especially when it’s sitting by your kitchen sink because you’re too lazy to use it.

Back
Top Bottom