fish keeping abuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have spent years keeping fish. I have succeeded and failed. I love this forum and the advice it offers. However it frustrates me when I see a majority of people saying don't do this and how dare you do that etc.. Yes I understand the requirements of certain fish and how they would thrive best long term according to facts and books. However I also have seen some fish in way too small of a tank live for many years beyond whats told should happen.

Education is key. However in my opinion ( a guy that eats salmon and lobster tail for dinner) If you get joy out of a $4.99 fish for a year even if it doesn't live to its full potential its money well spent. We are here to enjoy the fish keeping not be marine biologist for the well being of fish.

So if I keep a Oscar in a 20gallon for 14 months and it made me smile and forget about the B.S. of today's society and mellow out with a cup of coffee and a smile than I win. :)

I do keep in mind a healthy aquarium environment however I do not have 7 different 200g plus aquariums in my house to house the specific expectations etiher.

Just my opinion. Fight me all you like but the reality is. This is the reality

I don't understand what you're saying. We shouldn't try to teach people properly ...?

I'm not sure this is a place where you should be deliberately advocating poor fishkeeping. After all, from the forum's own rules,

"Ethical Fishkeeping:
The owners of Aquarium Advice adhere to basic standards of ethical fishkeeping. We believe that freshwater and saltwater aquarists are directly responsible for the health and well being of any aquatic animals in their care, be they fish or invertebrate. These responsibilities include providing a healthy aquatic environment, humane treatment, humane euthanasia (when required), as well as obtaining and disposing of aquatic animals in such a way that does not damage sensitive local ecosystems"

So I would say that we actually ARE here to promote the well being of the fish, as per the rules. Marine biologists or not.

Perhaps I simply did not understand your point properly.

If people did not want to learn, they would not post on a forum for assistance.

I don't know. I think it would make a person smile greater if he/she has an aquarium in its full potential.

I don't really agree with:
If you get joy out of a $4.99 fish for a year even if it doesn't live to its full potential its money well spent. We are here to enjoy the fish keeping not be marine biologist for the well being of fish.

It's like buying a fish just for the sake of self-pleasure. It's like considering them just like material objects, and the equivalence of money is only about the happiness it can give you.

I think it's more of of a relationship between the owner and the aquarium rather than a "buy and enjoy" thing.
And I think that this should not only be my perspective, but also to those that enter the hobby because, let's admit it, we borrowed these organisms from nature. And once we keep them, we are always passed down with a responsibilty :)

I think it's not about being a marine biologist, but being a responsible hobbyist.

This is just my opinion though :) :fish1:

I don't know. I think it would make a person smile greater if he/she has an aquarium in its full potential.

I don't really agree with:

It's like buying a fish just for the sake of self-pleasure. It's like considering them just like material objects, and the equivalence of money is only about the happiness it can give you.

I think it's more of of a relationship between the owner and the aquarium rather than a "buy and enjoy" thing.
And I think that this should not only be my perspective, but also to those that enter the hobby because, you know, they're living organisms too :)

This is just my opinion though :) :fish1:

+1 I'm going to have to agree with this. You have to think of the fact that their lives are in our hands and what ever happens, they have no way of escaping from it.

What a load of rubbish this thread is!!!!
I suppose the op feels its ok to keep a cat in a shoe box as long as they get their enjoyment. Or a dog in a cage as its not about the animals welfare its all about his/her enjoyment.

IN MY OPINION you shouldn't be allowed to keep fish

This thread is disappointing. Going back to looking at fish as a decoration in your house rather than a pet to be cared for.

Wow. Hard to believe that someone that has kept fish for "years" would think this way. I've been keeping for decades but it only took me days to get past that mentality. Common sense just isn't so common any more. To the op.... please stop keeping animals and maybe go back to keeping stamps or whatever it is you collected during those years you lived in your parents basement and never came out.

No one owns 7 200 gallon aquariums. I buy fish I like, are compatible and fit/live comfortably in the size tank I own. I will always do this, to do otherwise is irresponsible and selfish. Just like any other animal their lives are in our hands. I want my fish to live their lifespans out in a nice environment. This thread is ridiculous lol. I guess that is the kind of mentality that is not helping the sw side of the hobby.

Edit: I don't even know why I responded to this thread, it just seems like trouble

I don't understand why this was posted. Were you trying to change people's minds about what an animal needs to live or trying to get a bunch of newbies to kill a lot of fish?

I don't understand why this was posted. Were you trying to change people's minds about what an animal needs to live or trying to get a bunch of newbies to kill a lot of fish?

It sounded like a rage, to be honest. My guess is he probably came here asking for advice on his potentially large fish in a small tank, and got upset because some people DO get a bit carried away in spooning on the blame when someone (usually a noob) breaks a common rule. Thren is right (as always), the rules say to care for your fish. But we also need to remember that people make mistakes, and we should be helping them right those wrongs, not being mean. Be nice! Thats the main rule of the forum! There is certainly a difference between book learning and experience, but you need BOTH. obviously tetras shouldn't be with cichlids, but if someone has done it successfully, good for them. I think this thread is ridiculous, could someone delete it?

It's a living creature. Would you like to live in a space the size of a closet ?

This thread has nothing to do with 'advice'... It is a completely narcisistic viewpoint that has no place in a forum such as this. The op knew it when he wrote it. It should be deleted or, at the very least, ignored.

Ok this is this. If u want to put fish in tiny tanks and make the suffer just for ur sake? That's not right! We're not the Romans who put people and stadiums with tigers just to watch them be killed !!! But wait we had fun watching so is it fair? No!!!! If u want to do it man go ahead but it's not right for anyone especially the animals

I think people have made their opinions clear now. I also think everybody here wants this thread removed as its a joke. Anybody reading this from now on, lets bear in mind everytime somebody posts on this thread it keeps it near the top of the pile for newbies to see. Until this thread is deleted i think we should ignore it until it fades away into the depths of AA where it is hard to find

I think the moderators should delete this post, and the poster as we don't need people with that attitude on here!
How cruel. And selfish.

On the up side of this post, I have never before seen such universal agreement out of the people on this forum about a specific topic :) Gotta love the things that bring us together. Like a big dysfunctional family.

Well personally, I don't think the moderators should delete this post. So people reading this thread would know that there are actually a lot of people that care for fishies. That most of us do not consider them as a "display" and that aquarium hobbying is not just about our own happiness :)

But we need not insult the OP, I think he approached nicely with this thread. It's just that most of us really really disagreed (and maybe in some way, saddened).
I mean, maybe we can change his opinion in a nice way? :)

That's why this forum is called aquarium advice, not aquarium rage or aquarium scold or aquarium bash. You get the point :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom